Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

How many hands do you play a week? what's your average ROI?

Default How many hands do you play a week? what's your average ROI?

I don't want to know how much money you make nothing as personal as that, I'd just like to get an idea for the number of hands everyone plays in a week, and their average monthly ROI ?

I'd be really interested to hear beginner and pro alike, to get an idea for the spectrum.

Thanks
    well i really dont play anywhere near as much as i should but i probably average only like 3k hands a week, which is nothing basically.

In relation to roi, i dont play sngs anymore apart from the rare hu sng but when i was grinding out my roll a few months back at hu $5 $10 and $20 sngs i averaged 18 percent roi over a 500 game sample, I then moved up to the 30s but ran into a spot of variance as well as some good players and got dicked on over a small sample so am down to about 15 percent roi overall.
    "This sure beats Super Mario Bros.!" is my ejaculation catch phrase.
    If you look in the SHNL and FRNL threads, the july graphs are getting posted now.
    Thanks guys

I heard a pro speak on tv and he said he's quite profitable at just four tables at a time and managed 10k hands a week in 30-40 hours a week and I just wondered how average that is.

And cheers I'll check those threads out
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySlevin
    Thanks guys

I heard a pro speak on tv and he said he's quite profitable at just four tables at a time and managed 10k hands a week in 30-40 hours a week and I just wondered how average that is.

And cheers I'll check those threads out
    I seem to average around 65hands per hour in full ring at one table. So Four tabling that pro should get 7800 - 10400 hands in per month. This would change of course if one was playing 6max or something. The thing is I don't really know if your talking about cash games or SNGs because ROI% is the standard way to measure SNG winrate, but SNG players usually say they play a certain number of games per month not hands... So idunnolol ¯\(°_o)/¯
    (10:08:39 PM) Bbickes: animal chin is pretty much the balla i wanna be
    (10:08:44 PM) Bbickes: drinking every night
    (10:08:48 PM) Bbickes: and ballin hard all day
    Success in sit and go's is measured in ROI whereas success in cash games is measured in ptbb/100.

Don't shoot for a winrate; setting arbitrary goals gives you abitrary failure (ie feeling crappy for no reason). Starting out just play a few tables and play well.

If you work a 9-5 then a few thousand hands a week is good enough. But whatever you have some free time for; whatever you are comfortable with.
    Well Slev, in my experience I am still new to cash games, have been playing about 6 months, I play in the evenings and get in about 1.5 hours a night, running 2-4 tables at about 60 hands per hour or more... so playing 4 nights a week I get in about 800-1000 hands.

So far my cash ROI is negative, so I can't state a good figure, but I've lost about $50 total playing 3000 hands since May... all at .01/.02, so it isn't a huge loss but I'm up then down, I posted a graph in my blog/operation in the operation thread... located here:

http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...es-t72236.html
    Thanks Dean I'll bear that in mind - If I could get to the stage where I can make $15 an hour then all things considered I wouldn't need my 9-5 job. I think I've got a way to go until then though, I'll make sure I don't put as much emphasis on goals as I was I see what you're saying about potentially just setting myself up for a fall and it makes perfect sense, thanks.

Monty that's interesting, that would be my first priority to get to where you are at now where you're more or less breaking even - I expect it will take some time, but It's going to be good giving it a go. I'll be sure to check your operation thread out.
    I figure I only play 500-800 hands a week because of time constraints (I can only play typically for an hour in the evenings). I'm just grinding slowly and surely.

So far though my win rate is 13bb/100 hands in my database with 3000 hands logged so I must be doing something right I guess.
    If I could get to the stage where I can make $15 an hour then all things considered I wouldn't need my 9-5 job.
    Just for reference $15/hr is what I am hoping to make playing at 50nl. Well more like $20, but at the least I hope to make $15. At 3ptbb/100 (reasonable winrate) that is $3/100 hands. So if you can get in 500 hands per hour that would be achievable. 6 tabling I get about 400 hands, so you need to play something like 8-9 tables to achieve that. Just a heads up.

And this winrat would net something along the lines of $1800 per month (120 hours at $15 ph). So yeah you could bring it all out and not have a job; however, you wouldn't be builinging your roll. Just some food for thought.
    I play approximately 1000 hands per week, but I only play three tables. On rare occassions, I get in 2000 hands. I'm playing $25NL full ring.

No clue what my ptbb/100 winrate is. I don't use Poker tracker.
    I guess I normally play around 10k hands/week 16tabling full ring for around a couple of hours a day. my winrate is around 3ptbb/100 which is solid but not extremely impressive - just a note, if you start multitabling your winrate will probably drop a bit as you cant develop such solid reads as when you're playing 3/4 tables.
    [quote="XxStacksxX"]
    So yeah you could bring it all out and not have a job; however, you wouldn't be builinging your roll.
    Stacks... ok... I've re-read it like 6 times... what the hell is builinging?
    building gone wrong

imo
    It's quite important when learning poker to learn to divorce monetary results from feelings of success or failure.

You may have made tons of money through making bad decisions and playing worse than your opponents - and have gotten lucky. You may have lost tons of money through playing tons better than your opponents and making all the right decisions - and gotten unlucky.

It's meaningful to consider profit or loss if you look at your poker play in the long run. 10k hands is the short end of the long run. The quite short end. It probably needs more something like 50k hands before it begins to be meaningful.

Consider this: 10NL, win rate 5 ptbb/100 ($1 per 100 hands). Play 10k hands - win $100. Sit down at four tables at the same time and get your money in good on one table (AA vs KK) and get sucked out on. Next table you flop a set and lose a stack to set over set etc. In five minutes you can lose let's say 6 buyins. (Trust me, this will happen to you at some point.) Suddenly your 5ptbb/100 win rate is 2 ptbb/100. What's your true win rate? 5 ptbb/100 or 2 ptbb/100? I'd say your sample size is too small to claim a specific win rate with any statistical certainty.

It's important to play poker well. You cannot tell if you have played well in a given day by looking at your results. You can only tell if you have played well if you review your session and all the decisions you have made and decide if they were all correct. In some cases you will have failed to push edges so you won a small pot rather than a big one etc etc - but you can't spend 5 hours analysing your session if you've spent 2 hours playing. It is generally recommended to do the following:

Go through your hand histories for the session (PokerTracker is a wonderful tool) and identify the top 10 winning and top 10 losing hands ($ amounts). These may not be the hands that have your most serious errors from a long term development perspective, but they will be the hands that contain your most COSTLY errors for the day - and there's no need to start a trend perpetuating costly errors. So review them and think about them.

For each of these hands replay them - put your opponent on a range of hands at every step and reality check your decisions. Find out if you got your money in good when you won - or if you fucked up badly and just got lucky. Find out if you played correctly and was justified in putting money in when you did when you lose - or if you just spewed off a huge stack of chips on a whim and for no good reason.

And now - I'll start relating my reply to the thread.
    Imagine you give yourself a grade for how you played in each of these monetarily important hands - and then you average out the grades for these hands. Write that down. That's how well you did today. Your ptbb/100 or ROI are meaningless numbers in comparison. The only thing that tells you how well you played today is an assessment of the quality of your decisions.
    If I could get to the stage where I can make $15 an hour then all things considered I wouldn't need my 9-5 job.
    You run a marketing department and are paid less than $15 ph?
    [quote="Monty3038"]
    Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX
    So yeah you could bring it all out and not have a job; however, you wouldn't be builinging your roll.
    Stacks... ok... I've re-read it like 6 times... what the hell is builinging?
    Building gone wrong imo too.
    i play usually once a week with my brother (mrhappy333) poker friends.
    ive won a few times, but i play from my gut
    they play the odds
    and when im in the $$ they get mad. so i just play to have fun and watch them when i win.
    but i have made quite a few dumb moves.... and i forget to learn from my mistakes..
    I play about 4-5k hands/day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
    You run a marketing department and are paid less than $15 ph?
    The key was 'all things considered'

The amount of money I would lose, would be compensated for by the fact that I wouldn't be paying tax, and I would be working from home - which is worth a lot to me. Also the majority of my income is disposable and it doesn't seem to matter how much I get I tend to spend it within weeks... which is why I usually have never got any money close to pay day. I will grow up someday and start acting responsibly towards my finances I'm sure.

Default thanks

by the way thanks to everyone that's replied it's been really interesting getting a guage on how many hands each of you are playing a day - very interesting
    I am averaging 120 tourneys per month.

My ROI is over 100% for the year.

I am trying to increase my volume and not lose too much from my ROI.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com