Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Bigred's Return (Maybe)

Default Bigred's Return (Maybe)

So my plan (super secret plans to come) is to find some time for the grind and build a roll.

I'm thinking of doing the following and would appreciate feedbacL

1. Depositing money on America's Card Room to get the $1K match deposit
    2. Buy Poker Tracker or HEM (any input on which is better, all the same?)
    3. ?
    4. Profit

Any thoughts on HEM or PT? I've used both and remember liking PT more. I'm guessing there's not a huge difference between the two.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    bigred plays poker?

I'm seeing Rakeback deals for 27% and you'd still be eligible for First Deposit bonus. Do it.
    Yeah. I care more about deposit bonuses at a few sites to build the roll but getting a good rakeback is always proactively smart.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    So here's the master plan fellas and Rilla,

Mr. and Mrs. Bigred have a one-way ticket booked August 9, 2016 to Manila, Philippines. We both just turned 31 and 30 respectively and realize if we want to do family stuffs it probably needs to start soon. However, we've always been the people who talk about if we won the lottery we'd quit our jobs and travel the world. We haven't won the lottery but the plan is to save as much as possible over the next year, quit our jobs, and travel the world on a budget. The goal is to find sleepy towns with cheap rent, couch surfing, hotel point stays when we need a break, and anything else. It's less about going to the must see monuments in each country and more about finding places off the beaten path and staying for a few weeks in a family's extra room and immersing ourselves in the local culture. At a minimum we want to do 6 months but would love to stretch our budget out to 12 months, if possible. We shall see.

We'll spend the first month in the Philippines (Visas only last 30 days and require an exit flight) so we'll probably head to Hong Kong after as we have a good friend who just moved there for work. We made friends in Manila when we toured the Palawan islands with Tao Philippines (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFhbMaYTwCE) so we'll probably spend a few days catching up with them. Then the plan is to head so Sirigau, a small island, that has surfing and sleepy beaches. There's a few locals I'd love to catch up who were our tour guides on Tao but otherwise the plan is to take it easy.

At some point, we'll make our way to Chengdu, China where my wife will practice in a clinic. She's been studying Traditional Chinese Medicine for the last few years (why we moved to Austin) and this will be a great experience for her.

Other than that, we want to hit up most of Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, possibly Thailand but meh tourist path), do a lot of China, Tibet, and then make our way to Africa. Key stops in Africa include Kenya, Ethiopia, and Egypt.

We'd also love to do Latvia, Estonia, and other Eastern European counties. We don't plan on booking much in advance and we're cool with that. We visited South America last April with an arriving and departing flight and nothing else booked. Managed to hop our way around and found some awesome places you couldn't find if you researched on the web and planned everything up front. That's the plan for this trip.

So where do you come in? I talked about budget for 6-12 months. I'd love to find ways to generate income to extend this trip and poker is one of the ways I used to make money and once abroad, it makes a lot of sense. In order to make some real money, I need to build a BR and that's the goal of this Op.

Let's get started...
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Best of luck!

When was the last time you played poker seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    Best of luck!

When was the last time you played poker seriously?
    I dabble on bovado from time to time. Seriously probably back in 2006. Long time ago.
    Wow, sounds like an awesome trip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Wow, sounds like an awesome trip...
    Yeah so give me some FTR monies...
    LOL OPERATIONS
    So America Cardroom with a Pokertracker free trial with option to buy sounds like a good plan? Come on community!
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Not much of a plan. I see more travel itinerary than poker plan. How about some goals? You'll have 60 days to earn the bonus so how much can you reasonably expect to earn given the time you have available and the traffic in WPN?

I can't believe you're getting me all practical here. Fucker.
    For real, Benny.

@bigred: Plans on what you're going to do when you're a big winner - and not on how to become a big winner - make for more losers than winners.

Gantt Chart or GTFO.

You need to fill in that 3) in your OP.
    What is your BR management plan?
    What game(s) will you be playing? (why those games?)

What were your biggest leaks last time you seriously played poker? What stakes were you playing?
    What is your first struggle to overcome as a player, and what can you do (which is measurable) to assist you in conquering that struggle?
    Good feedback, guys. I have thought about it but I'll put this down on paper (thread post) shortly.
    Good luck!

Agree with the recommendations. I would give yourself some volume targets too. Always helps to have goals for hours/hands to drive towards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    I think there’s two goals I want to focus on. Time played and time studied. I don’t want to throw out any volume metrics quite yet because I’m not sure where my focus level is at and how many tables I can comfortably play at America’s Card Room. Never played there before.

Volume goal: 5-10 hours a week with a target of 8-10. I have to be realistic about this given that I work 40-60 hours a week. 5 should be attainable and 10 would be ideal. I’m done with wedding travel for the year so I have many weekends and a Thanksgiving holiday to put in some hours.

Studying goal: I need to implement some sort of continuous improvement goal. I’m not sure how I will define this but I know it needs to involve a combination of reading posts, watching videos, eventually reviewing my PT stats, and posting in this thread. What are goals folks have used before? I'm thinking 2 hours a week to start is low but achievable.

The timeline goal is to clear the bonus at America’s Card Room and then take advantage of another deposit bonus to build the roll.

Eventually, once I leave the country, I’d like to be on stars again.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    As an aside, what's the odds of getting account at stars once I leave the country? What's required and would I be eligible?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    the hardest part you are going to find is actually opening accounts and getting the verified so that you can withdraw any money / move site to site etc as they are going to want to see some form of ID and utility bills showing that you are living abroad. Stars usually want to see some sort of lease
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    the hardest part you are going to find is actually opening accounts and getting the verified so that you can withdraw any money / move site to site etc as they are going to want to see some form of ID and utility bills showing that you are living abroad. Stars usually want to see some sort of lease
    Hmmmm, well I have a year to figure this out so we shall see. Lease could be tricky or near impossible though since I plan to rent for a few weeks at a time.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Ok. So I deposited, have poker tracker, and am ready to go.

I have a pretty deep BR for 25NL (from what I've used to) and a shallow BR for 50NL. I think given my rustiness I'm going to do 25NL short handed. Goal is 5-10 hours a week and I'll move up at a combination of $2K and when I feel comfortable.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Welp, only able to log 3 hours this week so it's time to log some weekend time. Will post a real update sometime today.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Jumping back in at 25nl when you haven't played poker seriously since 2006 seems very very ambitious. But I assume that ACR is just a total lol donk fest? In which case, may you flop many a top pair and assuredly be paid.
    Good luck bigred.

I think ACR is the most regfest site available to US players and prlly 2nd most regfest worldwide after Stars. Both sites aren't what they were even a year ago.