Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

NL question

Default NL question

Hi folks... I will be playing in a new, live, NL home game next week and wanted your opinions on some "stuff".

It is a $1/$2 game with a $50 minimum buy-in ring type setup (they occasionally run tournies as well). The person who gave me the invite is the only one I know and has given me some info on the game by way of bragging on some of his hands --- I realize of course it could be bull but I'll file it away nonetheless.

When you play in a new live game with new people how do you play initially? I was thinking of tightening up my game in the beginning to see how the others play and maybe to give a tighter than normal table image. I'm trying to weigh the cost/benefits when it comes to playing my normal game vs playing close to the cuff for a general read on my opponents.

There is a pool of 20 or so people that know about this game and anywhere from 10-15 show up on a given night and the game runs for 3-4 hours.

I appreicate any advice you care to give.

Thanks,

Lug

Default Re: NL question

Quote Originally Posted by LugNutz
    I was thinking of tightening up my game in the beginning to see how the others play and maybe to give a tighter than normal table image.
    Perfect.
    I don't know what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    Playing with new people is always a rush for me. One of the reasons is because I enjoy reading people, and this give me a great chance to do just that. One thing I always try to keep in mind is that they will be attempting to read you also. If you only get one thing out of this post, get the fact that they are at least as interested in learning your game as you are about learning theirs. If most of them play together regularly, this will be especially true. There are two completely different ways that I’ve approached this as I enter a home game for the first time.

One was is to act like I know nothing about strategy. The main reason I do this is to win big pots from over confident yet good players. If they think you are a beginner, you can win some pretty good hands when people call you down the river thinking you are probably overvaluing your hand. I know, because I’ve done it myself. Be warned, this is not an easy image to keep up for 3-4 hours of playing the same people, but it can be done. A couple things that can help create this image is to loosen up you starting cards when you are in good position and have less of a chance of loosing big stacks of money. Then, show you bad starting cards anytime you can. Even/especially when you’ve been beaten. If they are good players, they will eat this up. There’s an art to this, and if you are a good post flop player, you can pull this off and most importantly win money. Another thing I do to build this image is to complement the winner of a pot regardless of how they played. Finally, state at least once an hour that you have to be pretty lucky to win this type of game. The good players understand that there is luck involved but still understand that the better you are the less of it you need.

The second option is to play a tight (maybe tighter than usual at first) aggressive game from start to finish. I think most of what you read on the forum will suggest this approach. It should work fine, as it does against most all opponents. If safe/low risk is what you are going for, this will work great. You are right on target with your original thoughts.

So why didn’t I only mention option 2? It’s because you can only be a newbie at a home game once. It’s like being a poker night virgin . After the first time, good solid play is the only way you will be able to pull off a win against 15 or 20 guys. It’s also fun to watch guys shake their heads when you turn over your 2 9 offsuit after you’ve called all the way down the river with nothing, only to beat them out of a much larger pot the next time you have a real hand. Special note: Only try this if you are confident in you post flop play and reading abilities, and I would never suggest this to an actual beginner.
    Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy.
    Perfect.
    Thanks for the reply humphrind...I figured that would be best... I dig your avatar by the way... Stuey is a trip

One was is to act like I know nothing about strategy. The main reason I do this is to win big pots from over confident yet good players. If they think you are a beginner, you can win some pretty good hands when people call you down the river thinking you are probably overvaluing your hand.
    hig13: Thanks for your reply also. With regard to the above quote... I don't want any of these players to brand me a hustler in any way, shape or form. They may or may not figure it out but it's not my style. I know a few guys who do it and do it well, they live by the "all's fair in love and war/poker" matra It never really made me very comfortable to misrepresent myself or my ability. I guess I'm not that good of an actor

When I talk about tightening up it is only for purposes of being in the game for a longer period of time to make observation. I will still play solid poker, just tighter than I might normally have done. Essentially this is what you statedi n option #2

Once again, thanks to you both for your responses.

Lug
    don't want any of these players to brand me a hustler in any way, shape or form.
    The word Hustler has such negative connotations, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that. I just like people to feel good about themselves right up until I take all there money. Most players, myself included, would like to think they got beat by a lucky newbie player rather than think they got beat by someone who was just better than they are.

Option 2 is clearly the best option 99.9% of the time, but it's ok to have fun every once in a while.

My only other suggestion is to read, read, read. Not necessarily books, even though they're not bad. Read people. Out of what position did they play what hand, and how do they play made hands post flop. Notice things about when they are quiet, and when they are talkative. Playing tighter than normal in a live game will give you A LOT of time to do this. Once you feel you have a pretty good feel for most or even all of the players, slowly loosen to your normal playing level. You’ll do fine.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
    Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy.
    Wish I could get into home games here locally ... I've been kicked out of 2, lol.

Whenever i go into a new game I fold and study... Identify how your opponents are playing, who is the chump? Who is the maniac? Who's new? Who's good? Then I play my normal poker. I don't really tighten up much at all, reason being my game wins me money why change it?
    The word Hustler has such negative connotations, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that. I just like people to feel good about themselves right up until I take all there money.
    That's a classic I'll post my results good or bad.

I don't really tighten up much at all, reason being my game wins me money why change it?
    To keep from getting kicked out of more games?

In all seriousness.... thanks again for the help.

Lug