Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

what do you do when....

Default what do you do when....

i was wondering what you pros do when you are getting nice cards and still people are kicking your ass???
    For instance i have JJ UTG goes raises 4xBB i raise all in, he calls and turns over A6o to catch an ace and tabe me down, all this happends, preflop??? why the hell would you make this call???
    Another I have KTo on the BB flop is KT9, bettor raises 8$ i call, turn is a rag, bettor bets 15$ i raise all in bettor calls and turns over AQ??? why would you do this and then to make matters worse the river brings the straight??? This is retarted, these two hands alone lost me over 50$ each so tell me what im supposed to so in these sort of situations, both of these hands happen in the same session.
    You should be grateful that there are terrible players out there making those horrid loose calls against you. Sure, it sucks when they draw out on you. It sucks even more when it happens several times in a short time period. These are the people, however, that you will make the most money off of in the long run.

On a side note, JJ isn't really a hand I want to push all-in with against somebody making a big raise from UTG (unless the table is shorthanded or extremely silly).
    {This post has been removed}
    Moving in with JJ is rarely the right idea. It's an ok hand, not a great hand. The AQ call was bad, but you shouldn't sweat it. In the end you'll win more against that hand than you'll loose.
    KP22
    I'm not gonna lie here. The first thing I think when I get suckered out when I'm a huge favorite is how the hell these players can play the way they do, and manage to do it over and over. Of course these are different players we're talking about so it doesn't necessarily mean that the same poor player is doing this over and over. That would be preposterous as they WILL lose in the long run. But yea, so when that happens to me:

1.) I try to put myself in their shoes and think of why they made those calls. Did they think I was bluffing/trying to buy the pot? Are they just horrible players?

2.) I get pissed, pissed, pissed.

3.) Try not to go on tilt.
    i agree with veraN, especially about going on tilt. there are always going to be maniacs and morons in the game. the trick is to play them like maniacs and morons, because they will lose. playing right will make you money in the long run, but when i get beat by one of these hopeless hands, i tend to get very angry and go on serious tilt, playing cards i normally wouldn't and making bad bets. just gotta always stay on your game and play right, it will all pan out. we need idiots in the game, that's where the money is.
    "But they were suited?!?! You idiot!!"

Default thanks

thanks for all the replys i was pretty pissed after that night but i guess the beats have to happen to someone. The reason i pushed with JJ is cause i was short stacked so it didnt hurt me that much to move in, if i was in healthy shape that would have been a different story. Now that i look back the table i was playing at was a bunch of maniacs and should have camped out for a while and waited. Wont be doing that agian!!!
    You have to shrug it off. A friend of mine plays in our NL tournaments (usually anywhere from four to ten people) and is pretty clearly one of the two or three best players. And like most very good players, he's tight/aggressive and generally makes the right plays on most hands. Last night he made the right plays, by my count, five times where he got beat anyway, and he ended up being the first out. He was mad but I told him, hey, playing that way is how you won our last THREE tournaments. You can't be mad because a few guys get lucky on worse hands one night. It only means they're more likely to keep playing that way, and pay you off the next time.

Incidentally, I put him out last night - he had two pair on the flop (undercards though) and I had top pair (jacks). He was technically ahead of me after the flop, but all it took was a jack on the turn and that was it. And based on his two pair I had other outs as well - my other hole card was an over. He wasn't happy about it but you have to think, even when you make the "right" play you might still have close to a coin flip chance of losing anyway against somebody that just calls to the river.