Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Call all in?

Default Call all in?

Scenario: A loose player goes all in when you have AA (or KK) with a large stack ($40-$60) Do you call?

I had cowboys last night, guy went all in, luckily I had only just arrived and had about $14. He shows 45s and hits a straight (or flush, I can't rem).

But do you consider it worth that risk pre-flop with a larger stack (say $50 like I managed to win the other night ) just because you have the best pre-flop hand?
    yes
    Without hesitation.
    Cool, just checkin really
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL IIIIIINNNNNNN!!!! The larger stack the better unless it's your entire bankroll.
    ALL IN everytime w/AA. This is the situation you dream about.

Probably ALL IN w/KK, unless I knew something about the player to suggest he'd only do that with AA.
    {This post has been removed}
    I saw a hand last night where there was JJ KK and AA all in the same hand. The AA took em all. I know its rare but it does happen. I also never fold KK. I called an all in last night with AJs because the dude only had 5 bucks - the flop was AAT. To hit trips and be against a dude who is already all in. Man that sucked.
    Would you call this one?

WeakLoosePassive has been losing money by typical newbie play. Too many hands, too many calls, too few raises. Might be on tilt, but this is the first time you've seen him push all-in pre-flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($24.50)
    CO ($62.48)
    Button ($15.25)
    SB ($16.50)
    BB ($38.45)
    UTG ($16.45)
    UTG+1 (WeakLoosePassive) ($9.05)
    MP1 ($60.97)
    Fnord ($38.05)

Preflop: Fnord is MP2 with Kd, Ad.
    UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 (WeakLoosePassive) raises to $9.05 (All-In), MP1 folds, Fnord folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $10.30

Results in white below:
    No showdown. WeakLoosePassive wins $10.30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    Would you call this one?
    not without AA or KK in my hand.

all-in preflop in a ring game without any other bets (other than a BB call and the blinds)?

from a player like you describe - i'd definitely fold the AK.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishstick
    from a player like you describe - i'd definitely fold the AK.

...but it's sooted!
    The biggest leak in my game used to be that I was tight passive until I caught a hand, and then I would become too aggressive with the nuts or near nuts, either overbetting it or scaring people out with raises that were too big.

If he is truly weak/passive and shows that much aggression from early position, I would fold AKs. Unless you have a strong suspicion that he is on tilt, in which case you should re-raise all in to isolate him. Otherwise, you have too many players acting behind you.

Even if he is bluffing, there is no reason to risk the $9 now. Wait until you can isolate him in a pot in better position withOUT going all in, where you can out-play him on flop and turn.
    Nice analysis Eddie. Add in some probablity kung fu and you pretty much get at what I was thinking at the time.

I can't re-raise all-in because he already is all-in! Otherwise pushing all-in over the top might be a viable option here (since a player might fold a medium pocket-pair to a re-raise.)

As for his money, yeah he's dumping it. At this point his stack is too short to "outplay" him. He's gonna have to see a hand. However, if I pass here I'm back in the lottery for it with the rest of the table.
    I don't know that is a tough one. Considering I like to raise AKs a few bucks to begin with. I guess it really depends on where I am standing at the time. If I was up big for night already I would probably call. If I was getting constantly demolished I would probably fold. If I was playing just a good so so game I would probably call 30% of the time and fold 70% of the time. I dont know I guess I would have to be sitting there to know really what I'd do. I'd want to call so bad but......but......but....... I dont know that is just a hard one.

There is no way I would call if he had more money. If he would have only had like 5 bucks I would call everytime probably since short stacks tend to go all in a lot more. 9 bucks is just getting up there to the point where it makes you really wonder.
    Yeah, I posted it since it was a tough one. Only had caught a couple hands up to that point and was really looking forward to playing my hand.

Also, I consided the $1.25 in likely dead money (which is why $5 is a call and $9 is a probably pass), plus the players still to act that might actually have the goods.
    I would have called that, has a small stack, you suspect hes on tilt, the hell with it. If he has AA or KK, then oh well, only lost 10.
    [quote="Fnord"]Would you call this one?

WeakLoosePassive has been losing money by typical newbie play. Too many hands, too many calls, too few raises. Might be on tilt, but this is the first time you've seen him push all-in pre-flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) converter

it depends....
    Yeahhhh mannnnnn
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieBoy
    Reasonable answer when there are variables, like who's playing and what position you're in, but this is pretty darn specific.