Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

How do you play aces?

View Poll Results: How would you play aces?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Route one, raise it huge!

23 54.76%
  • Slowplay all the time

2 4.76%
  • Mix it up / It depends

17 40.48%

Default How do you play aces?

OK, here's the situation. You are on a full 10 player ring game, and you are dealt aces in middle position? What do you do?
    Raise it up, weed em out. Aces shine heads up.

Mix it up from there.

-'rilla
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Depends on what everyone does before you.

If you have lots of limpers or folders, then a standard 3xBB bet pre-flop.

If you have a raise and lots of callers or a reraise, then reraise big and make someone decide if they want to push on this hand. Call a push.

If just one raiser and lots of folders, I might just smooth call and hide behind that raise. Then get agressive on the flop, or slow play a monster flop.

So I answered mix it up in the poll.
    What's the table texture?
    Sorry Fnord, lets say its NLHE and it's a pretty loose table
    What's my position?
    TheXianti: (Triptanes) why are you not a thinking person?
    If table is loose, you'll probably get some action. Raise slightly larger than you standard AK raise, and if you don't get any action, then Oh Well, onto the next hand. If the table is loose, and they notice you're TAgg, you may double up if a K or Q flops.

If the table is tight, I would still raise hoping that an inferior hand (J 10, A J, K 10) will want to see the flop, but I would make a slightly smaller raise.

If the table is "AA/KK/AK" camping, then I would raise the minimum and cross my fingers to get action on the flop.
    In a full ring game, I've started living by Brunson's theory:
    With KK or AA, you'll either win a small pot, or lose a big one.

I have found lately that I play AA looking to set it and trap someone, or I'll show it down depending on the betting, i.e. Flop comes J 10 J, I'm not gonna get attached to my aces unless I can see a cheap turn/river where if I get my ace I have a nut full (often up against an underfull).

NB. This is strictly 10 person ring, Tourney's require a completely different AA/KK strat.
    My opinion raise it up. For one reason: Last night someone limps in with AA I have small pocket pair catch trips on the flop. He raises of course I call. Turn comes nothing; he checks I bet about $3 small raise compared to the pot then he re-raises I just call. Next card draws another blank he goes all in I call and I break aces. I just think to raise it up to weed the small pocket pairs and other cards.

Corey
    RAISE or it will end in tears.
    I raise everytime, the amount depends on my position and the table.
    -It seemed like a good idea at the time-
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarfman1990
    Sorry Fnord, lets say its NLHE and it's a pretty loose table
    on a loose table, you HAVE to raise it, and play it hard. if it's a really loose table, that's an 8-10xBB PFR for me.
    i hate what i have become to escape what i hated being...