Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

The official blowsin boppers tea and brits thread

Default The official blowsin boppers tea and brits thread

anyways, i may or may not want to make tea something i drink in the evenings because im trying to add positive things to my diet that help with health and mood and all that jazz. ive added coffee and dark chocolate so far, but know nothing about tea. is this something i should drink? if so, what kind? i want something cheap, easy to make, tasty, and healthy. hope that's not too much to ask. if it is, go ahead and use this thread to gallywack about the royal baby or whatever
    Green tea, Oolong Tea or Black tea. The Asian teas are better I think than the stuff the brits drink.
    i love this shit http://www.amazon.com/Yogi-Kombucha-...words=kombucha

i'm not sold on the claims it makes as far as boosting your immune system (know nothing about it), but it tastes good.
    Last edited by givememyleg; 01-23-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    i'm not sold on the claims it makes as far as boost your immune system (know nothing about it), but it tastes good.
    per wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Kombucha is a lightly effervescent fermented drink of sweetened black tea that is used as a functional food. It is produced by fermenting the tea using a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast, or "SCOBY". Although kombucha is claimed to have several beneficial effects on health, these claims are not supported by scientific evidence. Drinking kombucha has been linked to serious side effects and deaths, and improper preparation can lead to contamination.
    maybe i'll just switch to green/black tea.
    it blew my mind when I learned that green & black tea were from the same plant.
    The kombucha mushroom people
    Sitting around all day
    Who can believe you
    Who can believe you
    Let your mother pray
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    man this kombucha stuff sounds nasty. interesting how it seems like it's originally japanese, kombu being a type of seaweed commonly eaten and cha being tea. but apparently it has nothing to do with japan or seaweed, instead some nasty moldy tea. strange.

oolong tea is low in caffeine and is common in asia as an "evening tea", i.e. it won't keep you up buzzing. it's tasty too.
    @d0zer, yeah i learned this relatively recently also. which leads me to my next point - tea should be made of tea leaves. not peppermint or fruity crap. if it's made of other stuff, then it's not tea. it's "stuff boiled in hot water".
    pgtips or yorkshire and never ever put sugar in it . I grew up with sugar in it , gave it up years ago and took some getting used to but now sugar in tea tastes horrible (and i have a sweet tooth)

and brew it in a teapot , milk in cup first then add the tea. Brewed in a mug and milk added is worse taste. And avoid earl grey ...that shit tastes like shit.
    Last edited by Keith; 01-24-2014 at 07:06 AM.
    yorkshire is a good british tea, this is true.
    ick, never put sugar in any tea ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    man this kombucha stuff sounds nasty. interesting how it seems like it's originally japanese, kombu being a type of seaweed commonly eaten and cha being tea. but apparently it has nothing to do with japan or seaweed, instead some nasty moldy tea. strange.
    but it tastes delicious.
    Green tea is healthy but is shit. Yorkshire tea is made in India I think, fuck knows why it's called Yorkshire tea, but it is very nice. I drink Yorkshire, PG or Tetley, depending on what's on offer. There's very little between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    pgtips or yorkshire and never ever put sugar in it . I grew up with sugar in it , gave it up years ago and took some getting used to but now sugar in tea tastes horrible (and i have a sweet tooth)

and brew it in a teapot , milk in cup first then add the tea. Brewed in a mug and milk added is worse taste. And avoid earl grey ...that shit tastes like shit.
    You put the milk in first? You fucking weirdo. Don't ever make me tea or I'll throw it back at you.
    ongies gonna ong
    ongie must be a heathen that puts the teabag in the mug pours water and then milk.....and probably to baffed to remove the teabag
    I put the water in with teabag, squeeze teabag, remove teabag, add milk. In other words, the normal way.
    Currently grinding live cash games. Life is good.
    I do the same as cobra. Sometimes leave it brewing whilst I do something else. Also recently stopped adding sugar to things, still not in the it now tastes better camp though.

Depends what Keith means by putting milk in first. If he's making the tea in a pot then adding the made tea to the milk that's fine, if he's putting a tea bag in milk then pouring water over it (which I don't think he is) then he deserves to be hung.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_1878 View Post
    I put the water in with teabag, squeeze teabag, remove teabag, add milk. In other words, the normal way.
    Yup.
    ongies gonna ong
    Actually yeah if you teapot it then it's fine to put milk into mug first. It's people who put milk onto a dry teabag. People like that need to be locked up. And people who put milk into a cup with a teabag in it. What the fuck is wrong with people?
    ongies gonna ong
    why not just leave the teabag in? and why fuck do you all add milk?
    Teabag...in?
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    why not just leave the teabag in? and why fuck do you all add milk?
    Because leaving the teabag in means it gets in the way of drinking the tea.

And I add milk because black tea is fucking nasty, too bitter. I only have a ridiculously small amount of milk in my tea, just enough to take the edge off. In Europe, they look at Brits funny when we ask for milk with our tea. Stupid foreigners and their nonsense languages.
    ongies gonna ong
    why's Luco using some dead guys scrotum to make his tea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    why's Luco using some dead guys scrotum to make his tea?
    Because I used to play Halo
    lol seen this and cant stop laughing , where did u get your refillable tea bag from luco, keith seams to like them or is it 1 bag with 2 pockets LOL. still laughing
    When I'm in the mood for tea, I just make green tea with a little honey. Microwave a coffee cup of water for a minute or two, add the teabag, wait 10 minutes, then I remove the teabag and add a half Tbsp of honey.

In the summer, I occasionally make iced green tea (which I prefer without any honey/sugar). Same prep method, except use 2 teabags to make it double strong. After the 10 minutes of steeping, pour it into a tall glass filled with ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You put the milk in first? You fucking weirdo. Don't ever make me tea or I'll throw it back at you.
    +1
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    My standard, go-to, everyday, I'm-in-the-mood-for-a-good-tea-but-don't-feel-like-paying-attention tea is bagged Twinings earl grey. Any temp water, no milk, no water, good brand, not price, can't be oversteeped if you use 10+ fl oz (I just leave the bag in, even suckle it when I'm done). It's basically my, "If you were trapped on a desert island and could only have one" tea, though it's not necessarily my favorite.

When I need a right-good dick in the ass (but don't feel like having coffee farts all day), I go with Kenyan tea. Much drier and much more bitter. Probably depends on brand and such on how much you have to follow steeping instructions, but I would certainly not do any more than 3 mins the first time around and work your way up from there. I just fill up a 16 oz mug and don't take the teabag out.

Stay away from Bigelow, Celestial and Stash. Especially with green tea. I sometimes find one kind or another from one of those brands or another that's potable, but you're best off avoiding. "But while I'm figuring out what type of tea I like, I should keep it cheap and not be too picky about brand," I imagine you saying to yourself as you stand in the aisle of your local grocery. Unfortunately, I won't be there to point out that this is a terrible idea because you'll get a terrible tea and go around the rest of your life thinking you don't like green tea or earl grey or whatever you happen to get, but really it's because the brand is shit, so to combat I'll have to say that twice so that you remember next time. Unfortunately, I won't be there to point out that this is a terrible idea because you'll get a terrible tea and go around the rest of your life thinking you don't like green tea or earl grey or whatever you happen to get, but really it's because the brand is shit. The first time I got Stash earl grey, I thought it had gotten mildewy somehow, and I lamented my storing habits, etc. Then, I got Stash earl grey at a restaurant and it tasted just the same. They just suck. Again, Twinings is like $0.10 a bag if you get in bulk on sale; no need to go cheaper for that if you place any value on your taste buds.

Anyway, if you're drinking white or green tea, you have to be very mindful of steeping instructions. Greens are particularly fussy with brand, temp and time. Don't use boiling water, don't steep longer than 3 mins (probably quite a bit less than that) and you reeeeeally can't afford to get a shitty brand green tea. High-end greens are something I think is worth splurging on every so often because they can be quite good and there's a lot of different things to try; there's not near as much variability in black teas.

The brits in here probably don't like earl grey and green tea because they put milk in fucking everything. Don't put milk in green tea, what the hell are you thinking? And earl grey has citrus in it; of course it tastes like ass how you drink it.

From there, it's a matter of if you like more floral (jasmine white and rose petal black are just a few of my fa-vor-ite things), more fruity, darker (chocolate, coffee, etc), herbal (spearmint, etc) or if you just like a fucking cup of tea no fancy shit please.
    Earl grey is nice with milk and sugar.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Thanks for the input. So far what I've seen about the health benefits are that they're cancelled out when mixed with milk. This makes me suspicious that teas don't provide health benefits in the first place, but that those who don't use milk are generally healthier
    I drink green tea in the afternoon because I let my caffeine tolerance fall and too many coffees during the day gives me jittery-wired energy and then crashes. I don't like adding sugar or milk, and black tea is kinda meh without those so green tea it is. white tea is cool too it's just less common so mostly green.
    I drink Chai tea, but not a standard chai drink with the milk and honey (that tastes like shit to me). But I like the cinnamon-y and whatnot of just chai tea. I also drink Earl Grey, again no milk or sugar. Love me some bergamot.
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    I drink green tea in the afternoon because I let my caffeine tolerance fall and too many coffees during the day gives me jittery-wired energy and then crashes. I don't like adding sugar or milk, and black tea is kinda meh without those so green tea it is. white tea is cool too it's just less common so mostly green.
    How many coffees is too many coffees?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Tea bags are great and all but to be really snobby I'll say loose tea tastes at least 40% better.

Milk in Earl grey is supposed to be breaking rules but I don't mind it. It's because of the bergamot which is a citrus fruit. You wouldn't mix lemon and milk for example. Milk in mug before tea is a bit strange also.

Only green teas that taste good are Japanese ones. There I said it.
    Last edited by eugmac; 01-25-2014 at 02:58 AM.
    I didn't mean to sound like a tea nazi in my post or anything. It's just that bergamot gives earl grey its distinctive flavor, so if you A) don't like black tea without milk and B) don't like milk mixed with an ultra bitter citrus fruit, then the syllogistic conclusion is that earl grey isn't the tea for you. There's nothing wrong with your tastes or anything, I just wouldn't go around telling everyone it's the tea's fault either.

Agreed on loose tea. I gave the super Twinings bagged tea endorsement because it's easy for an American getting into tea for the first time to not have to worry about steeping it perfectly lest the tea taste like slightly flavored water/bitter asshole. Even on a Twinings earl grey bagged versus Twinings earl grey loose battle, the loose is much much better (again, assuming you steep it right).

I'd imagine the problem with putting refrigerated milk in a mug before the hot water is that it's going to seriously fuck your water temp, and if you're drinking a black tea, you'll mostly end up with a weak cup of tea. In fact, I usually let it steep for a bit and don't add milk until I'm ready to drink it just to make sure it gets strong enough. Any tea I take milk with I generally just leave the bag in because the milk cuts the bitterness so much that you can't really oversteep.
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    How many coffees is too many coffees?
    2-3, depending on the week and my fluctuating tolerance.

Agree that loose tea is the best, I don't even bother using filters or anything, just let em' fall to the bottom and chew up the few that end up in my mouf. Though I have made tea in a french press before and that works decent. Every time I try to stop drinking beer that's what I do at night. Pots and tea is pretty great.
    Matcha green tea is delicious. I don't have any currently because good matcha powder is expensive and hard to get. The good ones can run you over 1$ per gram.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Sometimes I drink green tea or some bigelow flavored black tea. I've also had some luck with mint and chamomile tea during periods of mild insomnia.