Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Just went broke again($3.50 left)Starting over

Default Just went broke again($3.50 left)Starting over

Hi Evry1,
    I've been playing poker online for 15 months.Mostly at Pokerchamps and Pokerstars.I love playing poker and I really don't enjoy hating it like I do right now.Especially since I'm going to be having a poker room in my 1st house,I'll be looking for in the spring(If I don't lose the down payment j/k :P ).I bought a nice set of Paulson chips and one of these really nice tables

In the first 3 months I did really well,my account went from $150 to $800+,I finished 5th in a $215 LA Poker Classic satellite on Pokerchamps,Wraptduck(Tony G) eliminated me.I won or placed ITM in alot of SNG's and tourneys with 80-140 players.I think I was actually a better poker player a year ago

The last 6 months I've been playing more on Pokerstars against larger fields.I haven't been doing very well at all. I play MTT and SNG's mostly and very little ring games.In my ring game sessions I'd say I've won $$$ 3/4 or more of the time.Usually doubling what I brought to the table.Maybe I should play more ring games?

Just in the last month, I blazed through about $600 on Pokerstars ,about half of that trying to get into the Wcoop #15.Today I just went broke in a $30 SNG right before this post(My JJ went down in flames against AK)Then I deposited $400 into Pokerstars and decided I better analylze whats wrong.I'm going to try and find and plug the leaks.Before I play $1 of my $400,I'll be reading these forums and the 2ft stack of poker books I've aquired over the last year.

any help from y'all would be great.
    A couple tips....

First and foremost read this post. If you have already read it, read it again.

Second, get poker tracker.

Third, Try to specialize. I wouldnt' recommend playing MTT exclusively yet. Only the best players will be successful doing this. I'd reccommed either sng or ring games. If ring games pick either LHE or NL and stick to it.

Fourth, post hands for review. We love to help you out here and give you advice on how you played a hand. Get into the strategy forums and if you don't feel like you can contribute just yet, read tons of advice.

Last, never change that avatar.
    The artist formerly known as Knish
    Only mediocre players are always at their best.
    Phil Ivey Owns You
    Isn't strange how Knish was right when he said from time to time everyone goes bust?Wow.

Yeah;def post hands and read up on your strategy.
    Thanks y'all,I know I said I was going to take a lil break from poker to analyze my play,but I played a $2 NL tourney on pokerchamps after I got off nightshift this morning.I got 3rd outta 63 entries.

I played pretty tight and laid down some potentially fatal hands...and arrived at the final table in 6th place out of 10.The blinds ate me down to last place with 7 remaining.Then I made a couple raises into unraised pots that got me a few chips.A few hands later I picked up KK in the small blind and raised 3x the bb into one of the 3 chip leaders he called and the flop was Q,6,9 I bet 5700 into an 11,000 pot and he went all in(kekekeke ) my KK held up against his QT and I was one of the chip leaders
    down to 3 players my Q9s went down to JTos when he spiked a T on the river.
    Even though it was small potatoes for a tourney I made a $11.60 profit(wow positive yardage ).I'm still going to follow through with my reevaluation and recovery strategy.I just had to tell y'all I had fun playing poker again.

and I'm going to get the poker tracker software soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'd in
    and I'm going to get the poker tracker software soon!
    Well done! But... don't get Poker Tracker soon. Get it NOW. Seriously, it'll pay for itself in no time. You've just earned 1/5th of the purchase price in your MTT, so why not invest this towards the software.

You can actually download and start using the software for free without limitation (well, nothing important anyway) - so really, what _are_ you waiting for!
    This Poker Tracker software is not very user friendly! I'm finding it very frustrating to use.Are there any user guides to help? Anyone else who's using Poker Tracker got any tips?

I want to throw my c'puter off the sundeck trying to use this software.

!&%$@/?*^_#!

taking Les_worm's advice ...I have focused on playing $5 SNG's for awhile and have won 2,and got 2nd once out of 5 SNG's so far...yay!!! now if I can just learn how to get the most out of the Poker Tracker
    Quillspirit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'd in
    This Poker Tracker software is not very user friendly! I'm finding it very frustrating to use.Are there any user guides to help? Anyone else who's using Poker Tracker got any tips?

I want to throw my c'puter off the sundeck trying to use this software.

!&%$@/?*^_#!

taking Les_worm's advice ...I have focused on playing $5 SNG's for awhile and have won 2,and got 2nd once out of 5 SNG's so far...yay!!! now if I can just learn how to get the most out of the Poker Tracker
    I feel the same way about it... can't get the damn thing working, then it puts me on tilt, lol.
    Post many questions on the PT support site. You paid them to help you figure it out.
    Up my bankroll - buy Saints Row.
    I got 1800+ hands into Pokertracker now....yay!

1st thing I do is to request both my tournament and hand history for each tourney I play on Pokerstars.
    Then I open Pokertracker and click on file(in upper LH corner),click on Import Hand Histories/Tournament summaries,and click on Check e-mail ,then check the boxes for the tourney's wanted and click import and it loads them up
    OP seems to be primarily a tournament player.

Is Poker Tracker worth the investement for tournament players like it is for ring players? I have been playing SNGs recently, but all I have been doing is recording my results on the Super SNG Spreadsheet.

Tournaments is more about feel at various times than the hand selection. Wouldn't hand selection get skewed in the later stages of a tournament?
    Quote Originally Posted by Khabbi
    OP seems to be primarily a tournament player.

Is Poker Tracker worth the investement for tournament players like it is for ring players? I have been playing SNGs recently, but all I have been doing is recording my results on the Super SNG Spreadsheet.

Tournaments is more about feel at various times than the hand selection. Wouldn't hand selection get skewed in the later stages of a tournament?
    I thought the same thing before I bought Poker Office.....when you can see the stats on the table, it makes a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy
    I thought the same thing before I bought Poker Office.....when you can see the stats on the table, it makes a difference
    What stats are important to tournament players? How do these application help?