Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

little help as to what I could have done better here.

Default little help as to what I could have done better here.

Guys, please read this tell me if you can see if / what I did wrong.

This happened around 1am on party poker.

No limit table..

I hit 67s from the big blind.

4 people in for $.50 on the flop.

Flop comes 543 (rainbow) I flopped the nut straight.

I check
    Player 1 bets the $2
    player 2 raises to $4,
    player 3 folds..
    I called the $4
    player 2 calls the raise

pot = $8

A bit of slow play here, probably where I made my mistake. At this point I'm thinking player 1 is on a small pair, maybe a draw. I'm thinking player 2 is on top pair maybe two pair. (he's a bit agressive with top pairs)
    Turn comes it’s a K (4 suits on the board, no flushes coming out)
    I'm thinking its money for me because it could really help someone out.
    I check it
    Player 1 checks
    player 2 makes it 8
    I raised it to $16
    Player 1 calls the bets (not sure what he was doing I thought he hit two pair
    Player 2 calls the 8

pot = 55ish

Nice pot I've got the nuts with two callers. I'd rather it be heads up but I'll play it like this
    River comes another King..

I'm worried now because I was thinking player 2 hit two pair with the king on the turn. Not too sure about player 1. At this point i'm along for the ride. I bet out all-in!!!! (at this point I only had like 20 left in front of me. My bet was 1/3 the pot.
    Player 1 called it
    Player 2 called it

That’s when I knew I was in trouble. No way both of them missed it.

Player 1 had 3-3 in his hand for a 3-k boat.
    Player 2 went runner runner with k-4 for the boat.

1 darn card.. They had one out to beat me.

Now my question is, did I play this wrong or did I end up with a bad beat.

I'm leaning towards bad beat, but I also let draw for their hands. so I'm confused.

how would you guys have done it?

No limit table..

I check
    Player 1 bets the $2
    player 2 raises to $4,
    player 3 folds..
    I called the $4
    player 2 calls the raise

pot = $8

A bit of slow play here, probably where I made my mistake. At this point I'm thinking player 1 is on a small pair, maybe a draw. I'm thinking player 2 is on top pair maybe two pair. (he's a bit agressive with top pairs)
    I check it
    Player 1 checks
    player 2 makes it 8
    I raised it to $16
    Player 2 calls the 8

pot = 55ish

Nice pot I've got the nuts with two callers. I'd rather it be heads up but I'll play it like this

I'm worried now because I was thinking player 2 hit two pair with the king on the turn. Not too sure about player 1. At this point i'm along for the ride. I bet out all-in!!!! (at this point I only had like 20 left in front of me. My bet was 1/3 the pot.
    Player 1 called it
    Player 2 called it

I'm leaning towards bad beat, but I also let draw for their hands. so I'm confused.

No limit table..

I check
    Player 1 bets the $2
    player 2 raises to $4,
    player 3 folds..
    I called the $4
    player 2 calls the raise

pot = $8

I check it
    Player 1 checks
    player 2 makes it 8
    I raised it to $16
    Player 2 calls the 8

pot = 55ish

Player 1 called it
    Player 2 called it

No limit table..

I check
    Player 1 bets the $2
    player 2 raises to $4,
    player 3 folds..
    I called the $4
    player 2 calls the raise

pot = $8

I check it
    Player 1 checks
    player 2 makes it 8
    I raised it to $16
    Player 2 calls the 8

pot = 55ish

Player 1 called it
    Player 2 called it

No limit table..

I check
    Player 1 bets the $2
    player 2 raises to $4,
    player 3 folds..
    I called the $4
    player 2 calls the raise

pot = $8

I check it
    Player 1 checks
    player 2 makes it 8
    I raised it to $16
    Player 2 calls the 8

pot = 55ish

Player 1 called it
    Player 2 called it

No limit table..

I check
    Player 1 bets the $2
    player 2 raises to $4,
    player 3 folds..
    I called the $4
    player 2 calls the raise

pot = $8

I check it
    Player 1 checks
    player 2 makes it 8
    I raised it to $16
    Player 2 calls the 8

pot = 55ish

Player 1 called it
    Player 2 called it

Default Re: little help as to what I could have done better here.

Tough situation. With a Bet + raise in front of you more aggression earlier in the hand would be a solid play, however I don't think you're going to get that guy to lay down his set nor could you really laydown your straight.

Tough situation. With a Bet + raise in front of you more aggression earlier in the hand would be a solid play, however I don't think you're going to get that guy to lay down his set nor could you really laydown your straight.

Only an ALL IN after their first bets MIGHT have saved you I think. Once that king hit, I think they were staying regardless.
    Only an ALL IN after their first bets MIGHT have saved you I think. Once that king hit, I think they were staying regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by AceKing
    No way that guy is dropping his set in a low stakes game. Even if the straight is out he has a 1 in 3 shot of making his boat after the flop.
    No way that guy is dropping his set in a low stakes game. Even if the straight is out he has a 1 in 3 shot of making his boat after the flop.
    agree with fnord on that.

If i've flopped a set with cards like that on the board then i'm staying in. you've still got 2 cards coming to pair up the board to beat about anything out there.

as much as I hate to say it, my best move would have been to fold the river and keep fighting with whatever I had left.

If i've flopped a set with cards like that on the board then i'm staying in. you've still got 2 cards coming to pair up the board to beat about anything out there.

as much as I hate to say it, my best move would have been to fold the river and keep fighting with whatever I had left.