Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

How to play group 0-2 hands that don't hit on the flop

Default How to play group 0-2 hands that don't hit on the flop

How do you play hands like AK or KQ where you get nothing on flop, and people are betting into you. If you put up a significant raise preflop, it kind of sucks to just fold, but is that the best move?
    yeah I know it sucks to fold when you already put in $2 or so, but you have to do it unless you want to make a move. Reraise or fold, calling is waste because hell probably bet again on the turn and if that card doesn't help either, what are you going to do?

Default Re: How to play group 0-2 hands that don't hit on the flop

Quote Originally Posted by mb2696
    How do you play hands like AK or KQ where you get nothing on flop, and people are betting into you. If you put up a significant raise preflop, it kind of sucks to just fold, but is that the best move?
    Hold'em requires a lot of patience and discipline. If, at any time, you don't believe you have the winning hand, you must learn to let it go and wait until the best hand comes around to you. Eventually, it will.

As Raging suggested, with enough experience and the right conditions, you could attempt to "steal" the pot on the flop with your unpaired AK, but I would not recommend such a move for those just starting to learn.

KQ is not a hand you can hang on to for long if you don't flop top pair.
    Bluff it or dump it. KNOW YOUR OPPONENT.

If the other player isn't a calling station and the board looks like one I can bluff against and I have 1 or 2 callers I'll quite often take a stab here, particulary in position where I can often get a "free" river card if I miss the turn and it's checked to me again.

Figuring out if I raised with AA, KK, QQ or AK, AQ, KQ is their problem, not mine.
    "Bluff it or dump it"

Couldn't agree more. I've done well as I've gained more experience learning when you can bluff a 0-2 hand(like AK) that doesn't hit if I bet enough pre-flop and the board comes up rainbow and/or rags. If you're table image is strong, they'll often figure you for a high pair and fold. Also better if you're in late position and everybody limped in before your raise and then some of the limpers call. I'm seeing lots of players call my 2.50-4.00 raise with absolute cr@p(56o, etc)
    Good advice, that's how I play it.
    besides thers a pretty reasonable chance that they are bluffing as well, if someone calls your A-Q preflop raise usually theyll have a hand similar, if the flop is nothing but rags, where it doesn't look like anybody could have gotten a piece of it, theres a reasonable chance they are trying to steal it. Pocket pairs are what you have to worry about or bad players making horrible calls.
    And what then if you get called? Do you bluff again on the Turn/River is you again get another useless? Bet the same? or more? Or check? I suppose you'll say 'depends on opponent', but I'm still quite new and trying to learn how to read opponents.
    if they bet again, id probably give it up, if they check, I just might bet one more time since they're worried.