Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

No Limit Question

JTmustlearn Guest

Default No Limit Question

Please settle an arguement I am having with my friend. Let me paint the picture.

Player one (the chip leader) goes all in with 10 chips. Player two goes all in with 5 chips.

Now please correct me if I am a wrong, But if player two wins the hand he only wins 5 chips from player one. And if player one wins, he can only win players two's 5 chips. Player two doesn't owe, player one anymore chips, correct?

I just want to show my friend that you can not loose any more than you put in the pot, and also show him that you can see out the hand if you are all in, you just don't win any more than you put in the pot.

Please confirm what I am saying if this makes any sense.

Thanks,
    JTmustlearn
    Thats correct. You cant lose more than you have.
    Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants won't help.
    -- Calvin and Hobbes
    You are absolutely correct, JT.

If a player is all-in, he can only win the amount that he is all-in for IF he beats all others' hands. All bets matching this all-in amount become the main pot.

If it is heads-up (one-on-one) at this point, the opening bettor takes back the balance of his chips after matching the all-in player's chip amount. If the all-in player opened the bet, then the caller simply matches his chip amount and it is a showdown -- finish dealing the board to the end.

If more than two players are in the pot, each with bets amounting to more than the all-in player, the remaining players are playing for the side pot. The side pot is the balance of the remaining players' chips after the all-in player's chips are matched.

After all rounds are finished, all but the all-in player show cards and the best hand at this point wins the side pot. Next, that winner's hand is compared to the all-in player's hand. If it is better than the all-in player's hand, he also wins the main pot. If the all-in player's hand is better, he wins the main pot.

Hope that made sense.