Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

preflop

Default preflop

I have been trying to follow the pre-flop strategy posted on this site. However, it seems when I stick to it, it limits my losses great, but I rarely get to play. I don't get to see the flop most of the time. Should I be more flexible, or is this about right. Any suggestions?

Default Re: preflop

Quote Originally Posted by linker33
    I have been trying to follow the pre-flop strategy posted on this site. However, it seems when I stick to it, it limits my losses great, but I rarely get to play. I don't get to see the flop most of the time. Should I be more flexible, or is this about right. Any suggestions?
    Money not lost is equal to money won.

You should play tight because most hold 'em hands are about break even. There are very few that make you the money.

Here is my rough pre-flop strat if you want to give something else a try:

Raise/Re-raise/All-in Pre-Flop:
    AA KK

Raise/call any position:
    QQ AK

Raise from late position:
    AQ KQ JJ TT

Limp any position:
    Jacks or better suited
    any pocket pair (flop a set or go home)

Limp in late position (flop big, draw cheap, steal or fold):
    Axs, Kxs, tight suited connectors, suited semi-connectors, Tens or better suited

Call with up to 10% of the smaller stack on any pocket pair looking for the set. Adjust for multiple callers.

Never micro-raise. Raise like you mean it or don't bother.
    Thanks fnord, I was going to post a question about how you play hands and what position you'll play them from.

I ran alot of my hands through poker tracker and found I was losing money on Axs playing it too often out of position.
    Hey Linker,

This is how I usually play my hands. I haven't included my Group 7, which is only late position plays, but has hands such as A9, K9, medium-high suited connectors (not previously listed), and the high Kxs hands.

So you'll be looking to play more hands in late position.

Yes, I agree, you're not playing a whole lot of hands in general. But that's important. My game is disciplined, tight, and patient. Of course, that's also why I play three tables at once.

Also, one note on Axs in Group6, I actually only play these in mid-late position now. Kind of like a Group6.5.