Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Sklansky Hand Rankings Destroyed >=)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozanic
    Okay, now don't go getting all mad at me now for this, I'm just trying to figure something that's been on my mind a long long time about hold'em.

4 cards to an outside straight on the flop. without discounting anything, an 8 outs draw
    4 cards to a flush on the flop. again no discounts, a 9 outs draw
    mathematically, the odds of drawing the flush are slightly higher than the straight
    yet a flush beats a straight

Does anyone have the answer that has baffled me for so long?

Cause this dude's whacky ideas almost would explain it.

(shaking my head @ myself for posting this)
    Poker hands were invented long before texas holdem. Work it out for 5 card pokahs
    gabe: Ive dropped almost 100k in the past 35 days.

bigspenda73: But how much did you win?
    lets never delete this, it should be stickied.
    Check out the new blog!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozanic
    4 cards to an outside straight on the flop. without discounting anything, an 8 outs draw
    4 cards to a flush on the flop. again no discounts, a 9 outs draw
    mathematically, the odds of drawing the flush are slightly higher than the straight
    yet a flush beats a straight

Does anyone have the answer that has baffled me for so long?
    You are less likely to flop a flush draw than an OESD. If you want to see the math I'll break it down.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Ayyah, I got it...LOL... Silly me got way ahead of myself. Odds of being dealt a straight vs. flush is greater.

Sometimes, ya just miss the simple little things!

Thanks all, for clearing up a muddled mind!
    "Hey Boz, whay are you Canadians so polite"
    "Oh that, it's purely economics"
    "Economics???....what??"
    "Yeah, it doesn't cost anything to have manners, & quite often it pays off"
    Young Dro on 2+2
    On the contrary, I played a freeroll today in a field of 200 players, came out in 6th place (intentionally again, as one player was continually disconnected for 2-3 mins every single hand at the final table, so i went out with a bang and took the $5). I was the chip leader (my stack was three times the size of the 2nd place stack) the entire time of the tournament until I got to the final table.

Proof of these statements can be verified if you want. I can simply request a hand history, load the data from pokeroffice, or show screenshots if the truth of my claim is challenged.

So... I must be doing something right in order to be such a superior and dominant player.

To quote one of my opponents: "You should be out of this tournament by now. You are so lucky."

I knocked out 40-50 of the players in the tournament in situations where I was significantly dominated (by Sklansky's system that is).
    And the best part
    The underlying philosophy of my post is what guided me so successfully in this tournament. True, I make clever bluffs, intuitive reads, and testicle-requiring calls - so skill and experience definitely gives me an advantage over most players. However, I repeat... my fundamental theory is what makes my poker game what it is. (and that is a winning game)
    Begging for cash on poker forums +$1
    Getting ITM "intentionally" +$5
    Making a "testicle-requiring" allin call with 83o and cracking aces because you were getting the correct "luck odds" - PRICELESS
    Begging for cash on poker forums +$1
    Getting ITM "intentionally" +$5
    Making a "testicle-requiring" allin call with 83o and cracking aces because you were getting the correct "luck odds" - PRICELESS
    zomg---------
    3 3 3 I'm only half evil.
    why hasnt this been stickied yet?
    Check out the new blog!!!
    I didn't read the entire post because I fear my head might explode. I didn't read most of the replies either, because I'm lazy.

Here's your dollar, you earned it!

Hello HalvSame,

We have transferred $1.00 from your account to 'Y0UNGDR0' as per your request.

Good luck to you both.

Regards,

PokerStars Cashier
    I too am a believer in God, and have just said a loooooooong Prayer for this lost, "POOR" soul.
    BAHAHAHAH!

QQ vs AK
    QQ 12 * 12 = 144
    AK 14 * 13 = 182
    Clearly AK is superior to QQ.
    AK is also superior to KK by that logic. So you shouldn't rely on pairs, you should rely on AK! Except for AA, which is superior to AK, but only by 14 points. Marginal at best. Sell the farm for AK! All hail AK! 2nd best hand in hold 'em!

But wait! There is less distance between KK, and QQ than there is AK. They must be more harmonius than AK! Yet your writings decry AK to be more powerful! Woe is ME, what shall I do?! Please instruct me as to how to proceed against the faults in your own logic, oh great one!

What about Suitedness? 54 off is the exact same as 54s? Why does my brain hurt? It must have something to do with the Fibonacci sequence.

Please RE-post!
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
    classic
    never let this die.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.

Default Re: Sklansky Hand Rankings Destroyed >=)

[quote]Sklansky's Math and YoungDro's Luck will never coincide peacefully. They will eternally be at war. They will never win the war, for they are both equal and as powerful as the other. It's 50/50. [quote]

WOW. i thought that was deep before he blew my mind with the next bit:

[quote] I propose the question "What if God played dice with the Universe and lost the bet to Randomness?" [quote]

And he even claims "i am no math genius"- so wise and yet so humble.

By the way, ragnar he said that he hasn't yet expanded his theory to include suited cards and pocket pairs. I can't wait. I hope he backs it up with another "real life example" where him and his brother play out a hand for a dollar. That will prove everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar4
    BAHAHAHAH!

QQ vs AK
    QQ 12 * 12 = 144
    AK 14 * 13 = 182
    Clearly AK is superior to QQ.
    Well Duh.

AK has 6 outs.

QQ only has 2 outs.

Morans....

Quote Originally Posted by YoungDro

Thank you for reading, and I hope this has enlightened someone.
    If you wish to donate a dollar ($1 USD) as compensation for my work
    (I am flat broke and having trouble depositing due to credit debt)
    [Pokerstars username is Y0UNGDR0 with zero's for the O's.]
    I would be greatly appreciative and thankful for your generosity!

-Y0UNGDR0
    - 4/16/07 - Copyright
    i was going to ask you for the dollar for making me read that. I do agree though king 7 is the most synchronous hand probably ever, at least since they stopped making jokers wild.
    ZOMG this post rules, how did I missthis

and by the way BUMPPPPPP
    click your mouse, lose your house

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    ... I can't wait. I hope he backs it up with another "real life example" where him and his brother play out a hand for a dollar. That will prove everything
    ROFLMMFAO...

I'm dyin over here!!
    Hey knucklehead! Bonk!
    i this thread
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Straights are also easier to hit in Holdem. With 2 of a suit, you are 7% to hit a flush with 5 cards remaining. With 2 connected cards, 9% to hit a straight. Of course the odds are you won't be drawing to those inside straights , while there's no such thing as an inside flush. And many straight draws are tossed when 3 of a suit hit the board, not so their counterparts who won't be scared off when 3 connected cards hit. So chances are more flushes actually make in practice, while in theory (everone seening all 7 cards) there should be more straights.
    LMAO this made the milk come out of my nose XD

please sticky this or add a humor section this is brilliant (i wont donate though :P)
    is this like the overcards>pp becasue they have 6 outs?
    y did ur brother call wiv J4os??? fuk all the other bullshit i wanna kno the answer to that
    YoungDro, I want some of whatever mind-altering moon-bouncing hallucinogens you are on.
    CT - getting addicted to HUPLO
    that was five minutes of my life i'll never have back. simply stunning.
    LOL @ marginal edge AA vs AK
    "How could I call that bet? How could you MAKE that bet? It's poker not solitaire. " - that Gus Bronson guy
    someone needs to teach me reverse luck odds. That way i will know when the donkey across the table is gona get lucky and i can just fold my aces and kings preflop
    Quote Originally Posted by littleogre
    someone needs to teach me reverse luck odds. That way i will know when the donkey across the table is gona get lucky and i can just fold my aces and kings preflop
    You need to realise that AA and KK only have 2 outs, whereas most hands have 6 outs. These three times the luck odds. I dont know how you can win without getting this basic maths.

When I saw the title I was like "I really don't want to go there", then I actually read some of the posts...

Putting this thread out of its misery.