Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

# of Hands played Vs Moving Up

Default # of Hands played Vs Moving Up

I have read the posts about the Bankroll Management. I get it, play within your bankroll, and move up when your bankroll allows it.

My question is should you just move up once the BR allows it? Or (assuming you're using Poker Tracker or recording your results) should you stay at a level to see how you're playing there, improve your leaks, and then move up?

Another question regarding the BR management is how you incorporate Multi-Tabling to it. I don't really multi-table, but I'd like to get more hands played. At what point do you start MT? Once you've reached 1/2 to the next level?

Thanks for looking.

Default Re: # of Hands played Vs Moving Up

Quote Originally Posted by hanso_lo
    I have read the posts about the Bankroll Management. I get it, play within your bankroll, and move up when your bankroll allows it.

My question is should you just move up once the BR allows it? Or (assuming you're using Poker Tracker or recording your results) should you stay at a level to see how you're playing there, improve your leaks, and then move up?
    Honestly, you should be beating your current level before you move up. Get a decent sample set in PT, which is at least 10k hands, The general consensus is to make sure your ptbb/100 is over 5 before you move up, over 4 at 100nl and up.

Quote Originally Posted by hanso_lo
    Another question regarding the BR management is how you incorporate Multi-Tabling to it. I don't really multi-table, but I'd like to get more hands played. At what point do you start MT? Once you've reached 1/2 to the next level?
    Start Multi-tabling when you're comfortable with it. If you're using the 20 max buyins per level rule (considered low, but adequate at micros), wait till you have a significant amount more than that before you start multi-tabling.

I started with one table, quickly grew accustomed to 2, played SNGs with 4 regularly, and just moved up a little at a time from there. Do what you can handle, and get a decent sample set 1-tabling to make sure you're not losing a lot of earn by adding tables.
    If you have PT, you should definitely be checking for leaks before moving up, imo. It's cheaper to make the mistakes at the lower stake than the higher.

I don't think BR really affects how many tables you play at all (or very little). What is important is that you are comfortable for the number of tables you play. If you are playing one table, try adding one more and see if you can do it and still make decent decisions. If not, drop back down to one until the play becomes more natural. At that point, you can try it again. If it works, try going from 2 tables to 3, and so on. True, you should watch your BR a bit to make sure you are not endangering it too much by multi-tabling, but what is the diff really if you lose a total 2 buyins on one table or 4?

Adding tables also encourages you to play tighter preflop, which is usually a good think for microstakes players. But the key is to be comfortable and continue to make good decisions. If the play is too fast and you can't keep up, definitely drop it back down.
    Sue me if I play too long....
    move up when YOU are comfortable. BR management rules are guidelines that have worked for people in the past. The most important thing to consider is how comfortable you are with x buyins at a new level.

Multitabling is an aquired skill that you need to build up slowly. That being said, how many tables you play at a time should not really affect at what point you move up. If it does, youre playing too many tables.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    wondering where the 3 extra chairs at my 6max table came from
    1. I'm not the norm 'cause I clocked north of 150K hands at $10NL holding a BR > $1200. I will tell you, I learned an f-load about my play during that time, and made many mistakes a whole lot cheaper than they would of been if I'd cranked up with my bank.
    2. For me it was also getting over the "scared money" thing... and that's not just a BR issue. Getting comfy pushing $25 into the middle on a hand required a real comfort level for me in how I was playing... and that just took me time.
    3. I did about 40K hands of $10NL 9-tabling at FTP. My biggest problem is that my detailed reading efforts go to sh!t. Part of that is FTP's crappy software, as I was clickin like a crack ho to handle my hands in time... but I couldn't take the time to make notes and really build reads at that. But that's just me... there's a ton of people here who can soul read with 30 tables and a game of Starcraft (yeah, I'm old school...) while playing drums on Rockband for 10+PTBB/100... That sh!t just ain't me.
    4. I just moved up to $25NL about 7,500 hands ago. Running 6.5PTBB/100 and 3-tabling with a real effort to focus on ranges, reads, blah blah blah. Figure I'll be there for a while.
    What Sarbox said is great advice.

I will offer this advice as well. Everyone talks about when to move up, but fewer people talk when to move back down. I took 2 shots at NL25 before moving up, moved back down both times. You need a stop-loss criteria. If you're underrolled, there's more of a chance of hitting your stop loss.

I finally pwn'd NL10 for nearly 8 ptBB/100 over 22k hands right before moving up. Big win rates are possible at donkstakes, but being north of 4 ptBB/100 is probably fine, as long as the sample is at least 10k.

But don't worry about staying at a level for a while. As Sarbox says, confidence is more important than $$ for moving up.
    Welcome to FTR!

Your bankroll definitely shouldn't be a factor in how many tables you play. All multi-tabling does is speed up variance. Just add one at a time as you get more comfy with each extra table.

I don't really think you should have a certain winrate before you move up through microstakes. Just post a stat checkup and lots of hands as you play through a level. Make yourself answer hand history threads too. The discussions you get yourself into can be really educational.

Just move up once you don't have any terrible leaks (which you find out by posting a bunch), and once you are comfy with your bankroll. One technique for getting comfy with a higher level is to introduce one table at that level into your sessions while still playing your lower level too (so if you play 3 tables at $10nl then start off with one $25nl table and 2 $10nl tables when you try to move to $25nl).

Good luck man!
    Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.