Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

$1.50+.50 KO Tourneys

Default $1.50+.50 KO Tourneys

Was wondering why people agree to pay such a high rake? Is it just the novelty of getting paid the KO prizes? Absurdly high rake imo. Haven't played in any, but see them everywhere on the private tourney list on FT.
    Donk Skills:
    #1 The bluff call
    #2 The Drawing-Dead Value Bet
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity."
    Maximus Decimus Meridius - Gladiator
    It's all about the bounty. In my experience, at the low stakes these attract spew monkeys in droves. I've played a few in the past, and they weren't to hard to get ITM, but were hard to win outright. They remind me a lot of the freerolls where half the field goes AI blind first hand. Lots of folks bust out, but many more get these monster stacks that can be hard to beat at the final table.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb coolman
    It's all about the bounty. In my experience, at the low stakes these attract spew monkeys in droves. I've played a few in the past, and they weren't to hard to get ITM, but were hard to win outright. They remind me a lot of the freerolls where half the field goes AI blind first hand. Lots of folks bust out, but many more get these monster stacks that can be hard to beat at the final table.
    Having played the freerolls for a couple of years to create a bankroll I developed a strategy which worked fairly well. I missed the first half hour. By that time you are up against the lucky ones who have survived playing their rubbish hands by luck who are now sitting on a decent stack , a lot of decentish (at the freeroll level) will have gone out with their premium hands being sucked out on by sheer numbers in the pot and you haven't been tempted to play the premium hands against the donkeys. The blinds are low so you still have a decent stack to be playing with and then you are likely to be able to play your premium hands heads up against the donkeys all ins. You just have to take a few hands to work out who the all in donkeys are and luck means you will still lose some and be out , but usually you have doubled up and doubled up again in no time and be handily placed.
    its not a strategy for tourneys you actually pay to enter as its higher risk , but in the freerolls I've found it works well regularly making the money even after missing as much as the first hour of play. It would be interesting to know whether it would work at the very low buy in tourneys though if they play so much like a freeroll.