Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

$10NL, JJ in bb, call river bet?

Default $10NL, JJ in bb, call river bet?

Having one of those days where the term "grind" really earns its definition, in that every pot won is a hard fought pot. I've maybe had one or two easy pushes, calls all day, through 1,800 plus hands. It's been brutal variance all day, running into trips, getting sucked out when way ahead, etc. I have to be breaking some record for most flopped trips getting ruined in one afternoon. It just happened again, actually, as I'm typing this.

Here was a particularly difficult hand of the flop trips get ruined variety. Villain is standard 17/10 through 100, Agg is 67, so high.

Do you lay this down? Any comments on my play? Should have re-raised pf, right? Anything else?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 ($4.55)
    MP1 ($5.65)
    MP2 ($2.90)
    MP3 ($19.85)
    CO ($1.85)
    Villain (Button) ($10.90)
    SB ($8.80)
    Hero (BB) ($10.50)
    UTG ($4.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J
    6 folds, Villain bets $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) K, J, 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Villain bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1, Villain calls $0.50

Turn: ($2.65) 10 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1, Villain raises to $2.20, Hero calls $1.20

River: ($7.05) 6 (2 players)
    Hero checks, Villain bets $3
    "All men are frauds. The only difference between them is whether they admit it. I myself deny it." — H. L. Mencken
    Villain bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1
    Did you see the board man? It's wet as fuck and you're giving him crazy good odds. 3bet pre-flop is debateable, depends on his fold to 3bet/flat 3bet %s. But I donk this flop a lot. If you have a read he'll bet a very very high percent then your check/raise is ok but for the love of baby jesus, raise like a man (assuming you are one, otherwise raise like a girl). Your raise should be really big here because the flop is extremely wet and a lot of turn cards will be bad for you, I'd raise $2-$2.50 - winning this on the flop is a good thing. If he calls that you know you're behind most of his range and try to fill up a boat. As played, I check/call a smallish (1$ or less I guess, if you think you have the implied odds to get another 3$ or so when you do hit your boat) bet on the turn to try to draw out with your 10 outer.

edit: I 3bet this PF a lot I guess, JJ OOP doesn't play great vs aggro.
    That is all excellent advice and very helpful. I'd say one of my problems is seeing trips and getting huge dollar signs in my eyes, and trying to string along opponents regardless of the wetness of the board. I can picture my thought process here, seeing that flop and being like "I beat everything but KK and QT, and no way he has either of those hands. I'll check to the aggro. ... Oooh! He bet into me. Hmm his FCB number is pretty high. Better stall, then min raise to keep him around. It worked! [Turn card Th] FUck! Not again! Why does this always happen to me I'm so unlucky!" But I'm not, I just play trips badly. And need to fix it.

For the record, I folded to his river bet. My guess was KQ, possible of c.
    "All men are frauds. The only difference between them is whether they admit it. I myself deny it." — H. L. Mencken
    Preflop is fine. Check-raising the flop is fine. Giving him 8542354:1 pot odds on the flop is not.