Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

3-bet sizing question

Default 3-bet sizing question

I mostly play live fixed limit, but every once in awhile I sit at a NL table for some variety. I ran into this hand playing $300NL (2/3 blinds) and I thought I would solicit everyone's input.

It's a pretty fishy table, mostly calling stations including UTG, who has made some stupid calls of pre-flop raises. The guy in MP who raises is a nit-- he's only raised 2 hands in 3 hours and both of them were big pocket pairs that went to showdown, and he hasn't limped much either.

I have $280 or so in my stack. MP has me covered. UTG has just rebought for $100 (the minimum) after getting felted.

I am in the CO with pocket aces. UTG limps. Folds to MP, who raises to $25. It folds to me.

What's my 3-bet sizing? I assume I should be planning this hand out with the hope of stacking off against MP, right?
    to be honest, MP's raise sizing is so humongous that you really can't go wrong with your 3b sizing--it's gonna be a mistake for him to call ANY sizing with ANY hand. i'd prolly make it something really small like 60, and that should allow for stacks to get in by the turn. he prolly has a premium anyway, so raising larger is prolly good too.

as for sizing in general, you're pretty much NEVER going to be bluffing preflop and only will be 3b'ing when you're ahead of their calling range, so you might as well just make your sizing on the bigger side to really charge him of making hte standard live player's mistake of wanting to see the flop. i'd make it at least 4x's OOP and 3.5-4x's IP? i guess? any live players in the house?
    i don't really play much live, but i think making it $70, then half potting flop, jam most turns is probably your best bet.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Looks like the original raiser has a big hand and wants to dish out maximum punishment for the limper. Shoving might not be a horrible idea either because we maximize our expectation against hands like AK when they call pre and miss the flop, and JJ+ when an overcard flops we tend to lose some value, but they might stack off right now.

There's definitely a tendency for live players to snap off a shove here with a hand like Jacks or Queens, maybe even worse pairs because they put us on AK, or they call with AK because they put on us on a range that they either dominate or are flipping with.

In general 3x to 4x is good as a default but I'd tend to raise bigger with AA at looser games because you want to charge preflop where the biggest mistakes are usually made, and I'm sure multiway pots in 3bet pots are more common.