Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Comments: Bankroll Management 101. Important to new players.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I agree that it's best start @ the lowest level with $60 to $100 (or less) and grind your way up. Aside from all the benefits that have been mentioned, it's also important because you STAY AWAY from all the bad habits and frames of mind you can fall into by starting too high.

No matter what level you're at, you want poker to be FUN. So, even though it's a grind, it should be a fun one. If you can't have fun playing @ the lower levels, then it's going to hurt you later when you HAVE to move down and tempt you to take shots and that whole ball of wax.

Ask yourself if a multi-millionaire pro like Chris Ferguson can motivate himself to grind out a $1 to $20k (twice) and zero to $10k, why can't you do it with $60 or $100? Why is there a rush to move up? Poker will always be there 24/7/365.

If your goal is to be a good poker player, have fun, and move up, I think starting at the lowest is the BEST way to go. By not doing that, you're going in with a bad mindset before you've even been dealt a card. Now, if money is no object and learning the game or moving up doesn't matter, then sure, start wherever you like.
    - Jason

I am probably quite good at bankroll management. I have been tinking lately how important bankroll management is, for everyone, in order to make a long term profit without going broke.
    kingenofpker Guest
    i am new here and i just want 2 say that i love this game great to met you!
    Quote Originally Posted by kingenofpker
    If by some chance I'm wrong (unlikely), welcome to the forum. But I'm willing to bet money we'll never hear from you again after you find out you're not getting the freeroll password. But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters
    The solution to getting 1 outered is a simple one. We just need to find the site that is the least rigged.
    Sweril Guest
    Well... I actually lost $300 in about 2 months, and I'm not exactly feeling proud of myself, so, happily I guess I'm not a "donkey" anymore. I had to learn what you say in your post by heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Airles™
    Quote Originally Posted by kingenofpker
    If by some chance I'm wrong (unlikely), welcome to the forum. But I'm willing to bet money we'll never hear from you again after you find out you're not getting the freeroll password. But that's just me.
    Boom Head Shot!!!!!!!

LOL!
    Hi guys.

I was thinking if someone could do me a little favor.
    Today i will start to play with bankroll manegmet for the first time, so i thought if someone would be kind to help me out with wich tournaments i should play and so on.
    I will deposit 20$, but I'm not sure what kind of tournaments i can play both for making it interesting and not to risky using to much cash.

And yes, i only play tournaments, no SnG or cashgame.

Sabr
    With patience you win
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocco_Bill
    Is a 340BB swing uncommon? After making 1300$ in the last week of play winning 7 consecutive days i now lost 340$ in 4 hours of play.

I got 3xAA, KK, QQ all cracked in big pots among other very unfortunate hands. Its like as today the only thing i can get is trap hands.
    Well maybe you just didn't play your hands the right way.
    With patience you win
    I both wanted to bring this post back to the attention of the newbies on the site and mention I re-read it today as part of my re-education process... and pose a simple question (ran out of time reading the replies)...

Rilla, and others, do you feel 40-50 buy ins is a conservative amount to consider moving up a level playing only 6-max No Limit? Or is that too high/low to risk moving up a level....
    I am a BR Nit and considered conservative by most. My philosophy is move up when you have 30 Buy-Ins for the next level with exception of 5NL (20 Buy-Ins):

Start @2NL
    @$100, Move up to 5NL
    @$300, Move up to 10NL
    @$750, Move up to 25NL
    @$1500, Move up to 50NL

Incorporate a "Stop Loss" at -10 Buy-Ins for a given level, move back down to previous level if that happens

Hope this helps, I find that this strategy gives you the confidence to know you have really beaten a level and also helps to ease the inevitable stress of variance, coolers & bad beats.
    ------------------------
    "...only time you stop learning is when your own ignorance & arrogance stops you from doing so!" -Martin Pritchett
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty3038
    I both wanted to bring this post back to the attention of the newbies on the site and mention I re-read it today as part of my re-education process... and pose a simple question (ran out of time reading the replies)...

Rilla, and others, do you feel 40-50 buy ins is a conservative amount to consider moving up a level playing only 6-max No Limit? Or is that too high/low to risk moving up a level....
    Its hard to be too nitty with BR management. If 40-50 buyins is your comfort zone.. go with it.
    I've got a quick question. I'm quite underrolled for even NL2. Only ~30$ in my account which puts me at 6 buyins. I've tried to combat this (and allow myself to multitable 10+) by doing 100BB buyins. That is 2$ at NL2 even though max buyin is 5$.

Should I look to change this pattern? Or stick with it until I move a bit higher in my bankroll?
    You have plenty of roll, just Buy-In for 100BB.

This is also good practice because as you move 10NL+, your opportunities for starting >100BB deep are much less.
    ------------------------
    "...only time you stop learning is when your own ignorance & arrogance stops you from doing so!" -Martin Pritchett

Default bankrolls and how many b/b is required

another thing is a lot of so called players like to chase the doller and what i mean by this is they dont understand the variance in playing cash games compared with bankroll management i see a lot of players sitting down with lets say 50 dollers on a 1/2 blinds cash game and think to myself wow they are looking for a fast buck here as we should remember its easy choosing the game to play but are people really choosing the right game for the right amount to be playing for i have learned from experience this and i hope people will reply and let me know if they feel the same about this ?

Default Re: bankrolls and how many b/b is required

Quote Originally Posted by whowants79
    another thing is a lot of so called players like to chase the doller and what i mean by this is they dont understand the variance in playing cash games compared with bankroll management i see a lot of players sitting down with lets say 50 dollers on a 1/2 blinds cash game and think to myself wow they are looking for a fast buck here as we should remember its easy choosing the game to play but are people really choosing the right game for the right amount to be playing for i have learned from experience this and i hope people will reply and let me know if they feel the same about this ?
    never learned what a period is did ya? I ran out of breath just reading this to myself.
    This thread is awesome, thanks for writing this stuff up for us young hopefuls.
    Bankroll management is something that I really need to work on. I like playing 1 sb/ 2 bb nl but I am not bank rolled for it. I rolled through my bankroll in a week for both stars and full tilt altogether lost about 600 dollars