Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Slowplaying pocket rockets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forgot to add, the player was playing loose aggressive from what I noticed
    [20:19] <Zill4> god
    [20:19] <Zill4> u guys
    [20:19] <Zill4> so fking hopeless
    [20:19] <Zill4> and dumb
    IF I was going toi donk shove the turn I would rather shove the flop after his raise. He calls with 2 clubs, AQ or JT more on the flop than the turn.

As for his turn range it's the same as the flop when he raised you.
    For the vast, vast majority of players at the vast, vast majority of limits, slowplaying pocket aces is a terrible idea. The reasons are (1) you should only slowplay hands that are unlikely to be drawn out on, and that is not the case with pocket aces, especially in multi-way pots, (2) your slowplay (i.e., cold-calling, limping) will usually encourage multi-way pots unless you are last to act (BB) and heads up already; aggressive play will get you heads up a lot and pocket aces do much better in that situation especially if you have a wet flop, (3) you almost never know if you are ahead or behind post-flop if you have aces in a multi-way pot (someone could have hit some weird 2 pair or something) and you can create awful reverse implied odds situations here, and (4) most importantly, most of your villains pay little attention to what you are doing anyway, so you will usually get action from the hands that you want to be up against with your aces (i.e., big broadway cards, smaller pocket pairs) anyway, whereas the hands that won't give you action pre-flop aren't likely to give you much action post-flop either.

Note that (4) is NOT true in very tough games against thinking opponents, which is why you will sometimes see players in high-stakes TV games slowplay their aces. So yeah, if you are playing Tom Dwan or David Williams or some other hyper-aggressive pro sometime and you get aces and think you can get them to donk away their money to you, slowplaying your aces can be a very good play. But how often are you in that situation?

One last observation-- it can make sense very early in a no-rebuy tournament not to play a pot with your aces that could result in you committing your whole stack when they have been cracked. But you can also decide that the risk of getting knocked out is worth the possibility of a big early double-up. But on that one, your mileage may vary.
    The range after the turn doesn't matter, the money is all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    The range after the turn doesn't matter, the money is all in.
    This was my point
    I'm just glad that FTR welcomes the handicap with open arms. Stop bumping the thread... err oops.
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioRounder
    I'm just glad that FTR welcomes the handicap with open arms. Stop bumping the thread... err oops.
    Never understood why people say derogatory things online they would never have the kahunas say in real life.
    Actually, yes I do. I'm actually more derogatory in person. It's a treat. For the record though, I said that in reference to this entire thread, not you specifically captain defensive.

Ok, apology accepted.

[20:19] <Zill4> god
    [20:19] <Zill4> u guys
    [20:19] <Zill4> so fking hopeless
    [20:19] <Zill4> and dumb
    It's funny how the "experts" can easily go on tilt over a beginner's question.
    Better to go on tilt on a forum than on the tables imo

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd_gehrig
    It's funny how the "experts" can easily go on tilt over a beginner's question.
    Isn't it just?
    wondering where the 3 extra chairs at my 6max table came from
    Hey thread...you're still getting posts...that's cool. I produce Entourage! Say hello to your motha