Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Just played my first big multi table tourney last night

Default Just played my first big multi table tourney last night

Hi all,

Well I started out a month and a half ago playing ring games but they started getting a little boring. Within the past couple of weeks I played my first SNGs and have gotten pretty good at them. I think I've played about 25 of them total and I pretty much am even or up $10.00 over the course of that many of them. I would have been profitable but I "moved up" to higher SNGs so to speak and lost out 4th in both but oh well I have learned a ton and I didn't lose any money.

Anyways I've never played anything bigger than a 10 player NL ring game or a single table SNG but I really wanted to give a big NL tourney a try. So last night I signed up for a $30+3 NL Holdem at Party. There were 1090 in the tourney! Anyways first hand I hit trip 3's on the flop and someone goes all-in in front of me. I have to go all in to call and do and double up first hand cracking pocket aces....lol. Anyways the tourney was so much fun and I think I played very well. I was amazing how fast people were going out. Anyways fast forward a couple of hours and I've got 3600 chips. There are 135 people left and the top 110 get paid. I ask at the table if play starts to slow down near the money mark and one guy says "yeah, big time". He then starts asking me how I didn't know that and I say cause its my first multi tourney ever and he was shocked to hear that because he said he thought I was playing very well (I was stealing blinds and went all in reraising against the monster chip leader....with a hand of course). Anyways I just said yep.....I read alot (didn't say it was on FTR cause i didn't want to give away the secret).

Anyways as play slowed to an absolute crawl as we were only 12 spots or so away from the money I look at my chips and knew if I folded out I'd easily be inside the top 110. I figured I could even get to about 80 or 90 without playing another hand but thats not my mentatality. Everyone was making comments about being close to the money and I said "Well I don't know about you guys but if I pick up a big hand soon then I'm pushing it regardless". I figured I would need to double up a couple of times in the next few orbits to have a chance to win the whole thing.

So a few hands later I'm at 3000 chips and the BB just changed to 600. The 2nd biggest chip leader at the table with 12,000 and is 1st or 2nd to act raises 3200. This to me reeked of a big bet to steal the blinds because she had been losing some chips in the last few hands. I look down to see a JJ. I say ok.....I'm pushing it, I want a chance to win this thing. So I wait 4 minutes as the small stacks try to slowplay their way to the money and went it comes to me I go all in. Everyone else folds as I tell the table "see I told u I'd play if i had a hand". So 2nd big chip leader turns her cards over and she's got a 33 and i'm thinking "sweeeeeeet". Bottom line....she hits trips on the flop and the turn and river don't help me and i'm out in 120th. Ah sometimes poker just isn't fair but hey thats poker.

I really had fun and am so proud at how well I played. I honestly think if I had doubled up there I would've been easily top 30 with a little luck final table. Anyways sorry for such a long story but now I think I'm hooked on SNG and tournament play.....If I can be profitable at them like I am at ring games then I think I may have found my niche. And I'd like to thank all the posters here as the info on this site has made me a capable player in a short period of time.
    Boy it would help if I logged in so I didn't post as a guest wouldn't it?

lol

By the way the above post is mine

Default Re: Just played my first big multi table tourney last night

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyways I just said yep.....I read alot (didn't say it was on FTR cause i didn't want to give away the secret).
    This place isn't a secret.

I'm sure Xianti will tell you, BRING EM ALL HERE!

Wear your FTR shirt to the tournaments you play in.

The only time you should not talk about this, is when you have your FTR tournament thong on. (Fishy, when you are wearing your FTR thong, I also don't want you mentioning the word Humphrind.)
    I don't know what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrind
    The only time you should not talk about this, is when you have your FTR tournament thong on. (Fishy, when you are wearing your FTR thong, I also don't want you mentioning the word Humphrind.)
    you know, i've been thinking about doing the Fishstick/FTR Thong Tour, where i stop by the work places of all my FTR friends, wearing my FTR thong (of course).

hmmm, kansas city seems like a good place to start the tour. :P

is next tuesday good for you?

joe - good job on the MTT. i still haven't done one yet, but it's going to happen soon. sounds like you impressed your table mates, and at least you went out on a good hand. good job!

Quote Originally Posted by fishstick
    you know, i've been thinking about doing the Fishstick/FTR Thong Tour, where i stop by the work places of all my FTR friends, wearing my FTR thong (of course).

hmmm, kansas city seems like a good place to start the tour. :P

is next tuesday good for you?

joe - good job on the MTT. i still haven't done one yet, but it's going to happen soon. sounds like you impressed your table mates, and at least you went out on a good hand. good job!
    Joe -
    I forgot to say this in my first post. But it really was a great job. Congrats on a great finish to your first MTT.

Fishy -
    You are welcome to come to KC. In fact, tomorrow I'm starting my new job at a church. I'll give you more information later, but make sure to wear your Sunday best thong. I think Tuesday is the big seniors ice cream social.
    I don't know what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrind
    [Fishy -
    You are welcome to come to KC. In fact, tomorrow I'm starting my new job at a church. I'll give you more information later, but make sure to wear your Sunday best thong. I think Tuesday is the big seniors ice cream social.
    note to self

- move humphrind to the top of the banning list
    - get more "Banning Request Forms" from xianti

Hmm...seniors ice cream social...be careful fish might try and pick up all of the older ladies, needs to find those in his own age group you know.
    "Why does this still seem like gambling to you!?"
    i belive i placed 34th in that same tourney joe. it was a 30/3 at party 2 nights ago i belive and there was just over 1000 people. good job for your first, i actually folded JJ once when on the bubble raise and reraise, guy had KK andother had !10 10 so it was a good play, on the bubble, i was bigblind and had AQ, some guy raised big to 2200 i had 9000 chips he had 9000 chips, so i call, flop Q, 6 2, i raise 1000 he goes all in, only hand i was worried about was KK but he had JJ and i took it down, so JJ aint all it cracked up to be. but in your case you made the right read and just got outdrawn same happened to me with 99 vs 44 in a huge $250,000 multi right on the bubble, if i double up i am top 15 in chips as i was already nice size stack, and was up against chip leader.