Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

$1/2 Holdem vs. $25/NL

Default $1/2 Holdem vs. $25/NL

It seems that quite a few people are playing $.50/1 or $1/2 limit. For me it seems more difficult to push chasers off pots in the low limit games. I have had a lot of success in the last week playing $25/NL. The blinds are small so you see a few more flops, but it is easy to rasie pre-flop and push junk out or really make chasers think hard before calling post flop. I was wondering what the pro/con are for each type of game are....or the reasons behind some of the more experienced players sticking with low limit - I suppose I am worried that I may be missing something obvious.
    I just started dipping into the limit 1/2 games and found it very enjoyable. Same amount of fish vs No Limit but not as stressful. Personally, it looks like theres easy money at limit by just playing sound strategy... what preflop to play based on position, when to call/bet/raise, pot odds, etc.

Also in limit, its much easier to see opps weakness and take advantage. It seems like they will chase, play loose, bad pot odds... So you can extract money fairly easily w/o as much risk. However in NL, you get some fish who are loose/aggressive, the amount of risk to reward is variable. Agruably you can win real big NL limit pots (im comparing 1/2 llimit to $50 no-limit b/c the aver pot sizes are them same) vs limit. However, overal I feel the average pot size wins and the consistancy is better in limit..

No-Limit is a bit stressful and I would prefer limit if I had a hard day and want to avoid any more gray hairs on my head.
    hey where's the

1)
    2)
    3)

????
    Poker is all about the long long long long long long long term . . .
    Barney's back . . . back again . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty
    hey where's the

1)
    2)
    3)

????
    sub post_reply (intLeftBrain = 10, intRightBrain = 0)

(1) Ha
    (2) I guess that was my right brain writing that comment
    (3) Now you scared me straight and my left brain will take control for the next week.

end sub
    Thanks for the reply...I do see what you are saying, but so far my experience has not been the same as yours....particularly the $.50/1 games at Empire seem wildly loose - no one will let go of a hand, and it seems like the will catch their draw 50% of the time which just encourages them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavSimon
    Thanks for the reply...I do see what you are saying, but so far my experience has not been the same as yours....particularly the $.50/1 games at Empire seem wildly loose - no one will let go of a hand, and it seems like the will catch their draw 50% of the time which just encourages them.
    Wel if there are numerous multi-pots pots down to the river, I would suggest moving to another level or table. With multi-way, loose pots, you need at least 2pair to have any chance at it. Anytime you can raise/re-raise the board (TPTK, trips, 2-pair, etc) on the flop, do it. That might get those loose opps out. Dont hesitate to jam the pot. I find it very hard (even for fish) to call a double-raised pot. If lots of folks are doing that at your table, just switch. On the flip side, when you hit your trips, straight, flush, etc., you should have better returns at these tables.

Default Re: $1/2 Holdem vs. $25/NL

Quote Originally Posted by DavSimon
    ...or the reasons behind some of the more experienced players sticking with low limit - I suppose I am worried that I may be missing something obvious.
    Easy money, low risk. I can pull in $50-$100 / day at $1/$2 limit tables w/o much stress. I also hestitate moving up to the next level w/o a strong confidence of beating the lower level tables. You need a bigger bankroll, the $$ swings are more pronounced, and the play generally improves. So if you have any flaws in your play, you can lose alot of money, very fast.
    My game has significantly improved over the last few weeks, but I still have problems and leaks that I am working on. I am trying to get as much experience as possible because I am going to Vegas in two weeks. It will be the first time for me at a "real" table...I am just trying to educate myself - practice...and make some money too. I will give the $1/2 tables another try this weekend. Thanks for talking me through this.
    For me it's just which of the two evils I want to deal with that day.

If I play NL, I gotta deal with the loose players pushing all in and sucking out on the river.

If I play limit, I gotta deal with the chasers sucking out on the river.

Will the madness ever end? Why does it seem harder to beat people who are ignorant of poker concepts, than people who know when to hold and fold them?

Big Lick
    ...but in limit I get to suck out back at them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord
    ...but in limit I get to suck out back at them!

True true.

Big Lick
    Quote Originally Posted by Krapp
    I just started dipping into the limit 1/2 games and found it very enjoyable. Same amount of fish vs No Limit but not as stressful. Personally, it looks like theres easy money at limit by just playing sound strategy... what preflop to play based on position, when to call/bet/raise, pot odds, etc.

Also in limit, its much easier to see opps weakness and take advantage. It seems like they will chase, play loose, bad pot odds... So you can extract money fairly easily w/o as much risk. However in NL, you get some fish who are loose/aggressive, the amount of risk to reward is variable. Agruably you can win real big NL limit pots (im comparing 1/2 llimit to $50 no-limit b/c the aver pot sizes are them same) vs limit. However, overal I feel the average pot size wins and the consistancy is better in limit..

No-Limit is a bit stressful and I would prefer limit if I had a hard day and want to avoid any more gray hairs on my head.
    Krapp, great post. I have very little experience in limit games, but in the small amount of time I've played them I have noticed many of the same things you point out.

DavSimon, also check out Tyson's essay on limit vs. no limit, if you haven't already: http://www.flopturnriver.com/start_l...s_nolimit.html
    That is how I found this site (forum)...I read all of his papers/strategies..and my expierence mirrors his. I have lost $25 at a $.50/1 limit table a couple times at an alarming rate - I have been down a bit on a $25/NL table but have NEVER walked away with less than I started with - and in the last two weeks, on three occasions have walked away with a little over $200.
    With that said I want to improve my low limit game because of my impending Vegas trip...I have heard that N/L games are not easy to find in Vegas...well.... at levels that I am willing to play. I can afford $100-200 buyins, but $500-1000 is out of my "comfort" range. I do like to play blackjack and roulette, and I will be in Vegas for 6 days so I don't want to get roped into a higher limit game and lose a large portion of my bankroll.