Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default Omaha Topic?

I know that this forum deals mostly with Hold'em, but I've started branching out and trying other games like 7-stud or Omaha Hi/Lo.

Is there any room/interest in an Omaha or 7-stud topic?
    juju -

Fnord had a brief foray into 7-Stud that he documented in several posts on the message board. If you do a search you will find some helpful information in them for that game.

With regards to Omaha, most players on this board seem to have only dabbled in it periodically. We don't really have much in the way of information on Omaha. More like brief observances or experiences.

Xianti - Maybe this would be something that you could branch off into a separate Forum or something to that effect if enough interest is there so as to keep it separate form the Hold 'Em topics. Just a thought.
    "The urge to gamble is so universal and it's practice is so pleasurable, that I assume it must be evil." - Heywood Broun
    Quote Originally Posted by jmrogers7
    Xianti - Maybe this would be something that you could branch off into a separate Forum or something to that effect if enough interest is there so as to keep it separate form the Hold 'Em topics. Just a thought.
    Well, we do have Miscellaneous Poker, which is specifically for other poker game topics and miscellany. However, if enough people express interest in a forum for any particular poker game, such as Omaha, we could certainly make a new forum for it.
    I think Omaha is an untapped gold mine. A good discussion of strategy and tactics would be valuable to me. I've found the few Omaha posts we've had to be useful, but kind of sporadic. A central place for them might encourage more, and make them easier to find.
    "Limit poker is a science, but no-limit is an art..."
    I'd post in an Omaha forum
    I don't know what they have to say
    It makes no difference anyway.
    Whatever it is...
    I'm against it.
    I play the majority of my games in Omaha hi/lo8 and 7-stud hi/lo8 so I'd be all over a dedicated topic to those games.
    Quote Originally Posted by heatman
    I think Omaha is an untapped gold mine.
    i blundered into an omaha hi/lo limit SNG last night, thinking it was an omaha high pot limit SNG.

i've never played any kind of hi/lo, and i suck at limit, yet i still took 2nd.

i think heatman is right and i would be very interested in an omaha area (at least there's still a Flop, Turn, River )!

there are a lot of mediocre (sp?) holdem players dabbling in omaha, and i think there's a lot of money to made there.
    i hate what i have become to escape what i hated being...
    I'm interested in Omaha myself and I, too, have dabbled in 7-Stud.

Though, I've never played the hi/lo varieties.
    I play stud and omaha quite a bit.
    Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants won't help.
    -- Calvin and Hobbes
    I've found the few Omaha posts we've had to be useful, but kind of sporadic. A central place for them might encourage more, and make them easier to find.
    I agree. The info posted so in the forums has been good, and I think having one area for it all would be helpful. It's difficult finding info on these games, especially the Hi/Lo aspect.
    I'll agree to an omaha forum. Every day I come to look at these forums I keep seeing more and more posts about various things to do with omaha, I think making a forum for it would be justified.

And I too have played a little omaha, so a forum would be great to help me and I'm sure many others with getting to grips with the game.
    Interesting point.

I wonder if the player base for hold 'em gets better or worse as the game grows in popularity. On one hand, you have new and clueless people flocking to the game. On the other hand, you have new books and websites constantly coming out that teach people how to play.

How do you guys think the skill level in Omaha and 7CS compares to Hold 'em?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural
    Interesting point.

I wonder if the player base for hold 'em gets better or worse as the game grows in popularity. On one hand, you have new and clueless people flocking to the game. On the other hand, you have new books and websites constantly coming out that teach people how to play.

How do you guys think the skill level in Omaha and 7CS compares to Hold 'em?
    My experience is that there are a very few old salts who play well and know the game. Everyone else is there because they're down on their hold 'em game and want more action than they are getting in hold 'em.

I think hold 'em is a very deep game with a new idea around every corner. Omaha seems to be a "play tight cards, fit or fold, push the pot up if you have the nuts kind of game." The key is discipline. Maximize chances of hitting a nut hand with your pre-flop cards, and don't hang on hoping your top two pair is good. Most players I've seen don't have that discipline.
    "Limit poker is a science, but no-limit is an art..."
    My experience is that there are a very few old salts who play well and know the game. Everyone else is there because they're down on their hold 'em game and want more action than they are getting in hold 'em.

I think hold 'em is a very deep game with a new idea around every corner. Omaha seems to be a "play tight cards, fit or fold, push the pot up if you have the nuts kind of game." The key is discipline. Maximize chances of hitting a nut hand with your pre-flop cards, and don't hang on hoping your top two pair is good. Most players I've seen don't have that discipline.
    i would add (from my limited exposure) that you would see even more chasing, especially in limit hi/lo omaha, because it really doesn't cost that much (if no one's raising) to chase. and when you factor 5 players chasing a hand, the pots are pretty respectable.

from what i've read, if you basically do what heatman outlined above, you will crush the game. also, if you follow the above advice, especially playing good starting hands, you won't have nearly the bad beats that you'd have in holdem.
    thanks xianti for the new omaha forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishstick
    thanks xianti for the new omaha forum!
    You're welcome. Enjoy!

I've got a lot to learn about Omaha and Stud myself, so please post away in the new forums.
    I think patience and not chasing longshots is definitely the key to 7 card stud. I find tables that have very big pots for the level they're playing on (a lot of aggressive betting, a lot of callers), and then be tight with starting hands, even tighter for hands you call on 4th street, and "tighter than a baby turtle's anus" for hands you call past 5th street.

Once you call on 5th street, you're usually commiting yourself to the pot, so you should either believe you have the best hand then, or have a very good draw.

Its a nice relaxing game for me when things aren't going well in Holdem ring games, and I'm definitely making money on the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1123
    I think patience and not chasing longshots is definitely the key to 7 card stud. I find tables that have very big pots for the level they're playing on (a lot of aggressive betting, a lot of callers), and then be tight with starting hands, even tighter for hands you call on 4th street, and "tighter than a baby turtle's anus" for hands you call past 5th street.

Once you call on 5th street, you're usually commiting yourself to the pot, so you should either believe you have the best hand then, or have a very good draw.

Its a nice relaxing game for me when things aren't going well in Holdem ring games, and I'm definitely making money on the game.
    I consider 7 hi/lo it to be my best game. For me it's much easier to read people's hands, to know when to bet/raise/call/fold, etc. I find myself using much more poker skill in this game than others. And usually I end up running over a table when I play it.