Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 398 of 420 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408 ... LastLast
Results 29,776 to 29,850 of 31490

Watch the unrelated nugget of wisdom near the very end

Edit: 25:25 or so
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Most substances like banana are made up of hundreds of chemicals. Most artificial flavorings are made by analyzing the structure, picking one or two most prevalent ones and synthesizing them. That's why most of them suck.
    Please someone, tell them to stop.

I just think we should suspend judgment on Boris until we have all the facts through an inquiry, police investigation, and parliamentary commission...then we should explode him.
    also,
    I'd like to be called Lord Poopy His Most Gloriously Excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Watch the unrelated nugget of wisdom near the very end
    I saw that and I was like... he says it better than me. But I already try to have that attitude as much as possible.

I try to acknowledge when I've done all I can and what will happen will happen.
    I'll deal with those consequences if and when they come up.

Like if my bus to work doesn't show and I have to call an uber or lyft. I'm always chill with them about getting there. It's like, not their fault the bus was late. Not mine, either. It happened. I don't want them to get pulled over for speeding or some shit now that I'm already pressed for time. So I don't even mention that I'm late. Just make small talk.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    I've had a taxi turn up late for me when I have a train to catch. Driver asks "when's your train?", I reply "five minutes", station is between five and ten minute drive depending on traffic, driver says "put your belt on". Arrive with a minute or two to spare.

Keep the change buddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    I knew it.

I just think we should suspend judgment on Boris until we have all the facts through an inquiry, police investigation, and parliamentary commission...then we should explode him.
    also,
    I'd buy it if he could spell "through".
    ongies gonna ong
    indistinguishable from a biological bird = a biological bird
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
    also,
    also,
    Bought plane tickets for a Holiday season vacation a couple months ago.

The flight plans have changed twice, now.

No idea when I'll actually be flying or through which layover cities, or how long the layovers will be.

*shrug*
    I still get to go to Hawaii for a couple weeks.
    And the getting there and back was always going to totally suck, so it's not really a big deal.
    Sounds pretty sweet.

I'm already looking forward to going back to Canada for the first time in three years next summer. Hopefully it will be less of a headache by then.
    also,
    This thread is getting more and more unpredictable. It seems to me that the most absurd thoughts have already been said
    Found this somewhere on the interwebs

An M.I.T. professor was driving his Mercedes to class when suddenly one of his tires blew out. He pulled over and called AAA but they could not get to him for an hour. As he was late for an important lecture, he decided to change the tire himself.

He got the jack and spare tire from the trunk and began the dirty work. As he was removing the lug nuts and carefully placing them in the hubcap so they didn’t roll away, a cement truck drove by shaking the ground causing all of the lug nuts to fall out of the hub cap and roll into a deep storm drain grid.

‘Now what do I do?’ he thought. He looked around and saw that he had stopped just outside a lunatic asylum. One of the inmates yelled from an open window “Hey! You need some help?” The great professor just smiled and laughed.
    How could a lunatic possibly have an answer to his dilemma?

The professor pulled out a little notebook and started making some calculations. He drew diagrams with possible methods of solving his problem. He was so caught up in finding a solution that he forgot all about the time. He walked around the car several times making notes and pondering his problem.

Meanwhile, another inmate of the asylum joined the first one and yelled “Hey! I know what you can do!” The brilliant professor just laughed and shook his head. ‘Those people are nuts.’ He thought to himself. ‘It’s so sad that they think they can help.’

As he tried and tried different ideas, nothing seemed to work. Mean while other inmates from the asylum had gathered at the window and were laughing hysterically at the professor. This made the professor angry and he shouted to the inmates “Shut up you stupid people!”

The inmates quieted to a soft snicker and continued to watch as the professor tried and tried to solve the problem of the lost lug nuts. The professor was exhausted. For hours he had used all his intelligence to come up with a solution to no avail.
    Then, quietly, one of the inmates tried to speak to him again. “Hey buddy. I can help if you let me.” To which the professor replied “What the hell. What’s your idea?” The inmate said, “take one lug nut from each of the three remaining tires and use them for your spare. That will hold until you can get to a service station.”

Light bulbs went off in the professor’s head as he realized that the inmate’s crazy idea just might work. He did as the inmate had instructed and before he left yelled to the inmate “That was a great idea. What is someone as smart as you doing in an insane asylum?” The inmate yelled back “I’m in here ‘cause I’m crazy…not stupid.”

The great thing about discord forums is that as with any group, you’ll have people that are more knowledgeable than others or smarter than others or more experienced than others. The downside is that sometimes when people think they are smarter than others, their hubris outgrows their humanity. They sometimes feel like it’s their job to point out faults in others’ ideas or offer help using a condescending tone.

They can let the admiration of others go to their heads and they feel superior like the professor in the parable above. This is common with the ‘smarter’ members of a community. Their ego becomes larger than their knowledge and they begin to look down their nose at the ‘lesser’ members of the community.

They feel obligated to correct the slightest fault in any post and dismiss any idea other than what they think is best. They can even develop a God complex and begin admonishing the moderators of the forum and telling them how the forum should be run.

I’ve seen this many times and it’s just so sad. People that start off as helpful and teachers metamorphosize into a monster of their own id. Other members begin to feel slighted or put down and stop interacting in the community. The smart person becomes an intellectual or technical bully and a dark cloud falls over the forum.
    If the smart person’s behavior can’t be turned around, they may have to be removed from the community and that means the loss of a great resource for everyone. Getting a smart person to recognize their problem is difficult at best because they feel what they are doing is right.

I have seen only two methods work when trying to change bad behavior in a community. The first is trying to reason with the person thru DMs letting them know how they are being perceived. If you can get the person to accept that their behavior is hurting others, they may realize what they are doing is wrong and take steps to correct the behavior.

The other method is more drastic and painful. I have seen members of a community gang up on the offending smart person and call them out on their behavior. This only works in a few situations and typically results in the offender just leaving the forum. This doesn’t really do anyone any real good. The community loses a good resource and the offender feels slighted.

I write this for all members of a community. I just wanted to give you all something to think about. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are guilty of being an intellectual or technical bully. Even if it’s a little bit.

Chose humility over hubris. Choose gratitude over greatness. Remember, if you are looked up to as an expert, you have an obligation to the community. How you react may determine how others will react. Being ‘smart’ should be its own reward. Take your joy from the success of others when you help them to achieve their goals.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, never get so impressed with yourself that you can’t learn from some crazy people.
    Remember, they’re crazy…not stupid.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post

No idea when I'll actually be flying or through which layover cities, or how long the layovers will be.

*shrug*
    And the getting there and back was always going to totally suck, so it's not really a big deal.
    HAwaii anytime, anyhow sounds nice af

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Currently watching a football match, West Ham vs Genk, there's Ogbonna and Bongonda playing. My brothers.
    ongies gonna ong
    Three of the best names ever.
    also,
    Oops.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1451351603710021632

One would think there'd be a way to make a prop gun seem realistic while at the same time not deadly. Didn't Brandon Lee die the same way?
    also,
    Brandon Lee did because a dummy bullet, which was used for a close up scene, was not removed from the barrel before the following scene, involving a blank bullet. Dummies and blanks are different, dummies have no explosives while blanks are modified bullets to be "safe", though as history shows, they're not 100% safe. So when they fired a blank, it released the blockage, firing the dummy at Brandon, and killing him.

Obviously we don't know precisely what happened with the Baldwin incident, but the fact it injured two people seems to imply to me that something else happened, perhaps the blank broke apart in the chamber and essentially fired two projectiles at the director and director of photography. Quite why these two people were in the line of fire remains to be explained, presumably this was a scene where Baldwin was firing a gun at the camera. We'll have to wait to see what they say happened though.
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah. The police investigation will happen, it seems, before we get the details on what exactly was loaded in that gun, and how a blank managed to kill someone and injure another from what we would naively assume to be over 10 feet away.

I know nothing about Hollywood gun blanks, though.

I mean... I guess you need something that delivers enough kickback to the hand when it fires to look semi-realistic, so there is some reason to use a blank and not just an extremely low-power pop that looks good on camera.

Doesn't seem like the risk-reward is worth it, though, when lives are on the line. Even if it's super rare for accidents like these (god I hope it was an accident and not intentional), the cost is too high to justify the risk when the only end goal is entertainment and making money.
    A Hollywood blank is a normal bullet that has the cap removed and replaced with cotton. You still get recoil, muzzle flash and a loud bang. Not sure how this modification makes them "safe" but this is what I've learned reading up on this matter today. Dummies are different, they don't even have explosives and so aren't dangerous at all... unless, that is, it gets stuck in the barrel and the gun is then used to fire a blank, as in the case with Brandon Lee.

It seems highly likely this is an accident. Apparently Baldwin was found in tears outside the hospital.
    Last edited by OngBonga; 10-22-2021 at 01:44 PM.
    ongies gonna ong
    Baldwin's almost certainly not the one who prepped the gun. Still, I agree it seems a bit obvious for a murder.

The thing I heard is, you can have a toy gun, have the actor pretend to fire it, then do all the flash and bang in post-production. So why even bother with these props when it's obviously dangerous?
    also,
    This is something that will be discussed in great depth over the coming weeks. It's relatively cheap and simple these days to use CGI in post-production, so it does beg the question if it's worth the risk using dangerous props. But you're not going to get a natural recoil. I suspect you're sacrificing some realism. The question begs, is it worth it? This is an extremely rare incident, other than this and Brandon Lee, I only saw reference to one more incident of this kind, and that was almost Darwin Awards stuff... some bored actor decided to put a prop gun to his temple and fired... the recoil fractured his skull and he died several days later in hospital. It's easy to dismiss that one as self inflicted, but when you have production crew getting hurt it's very different.
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah. The police investigation will happen, it seems, before we get the details on what exactly was loaded in that gun, and how a blank managed to kill someone and injure another from what we would naively assume to be over 10 feet away.

I know nothing about Hollywood gun blanks, though.

I mean... I guess you need something that delivers enough kickback to the hand when it fires to look semi-realistic, so there is some reason to use a blank and not just an extremely low-power pop that looks good on camera.

Doesn't seem like the risk-reward is worth it, though, when lives are on the line. Even if it's super rare for accidents like these (god I hope it was an accident and not intentional), the cost is too high to justify the risk when the only end goal is entertainment and making money.
    Not that the following justifies the risk, quite the opposite, but for some perspective: film production staff often work very long hours. When something gets off track with production, the thing that bends doesnt tend to be the A lister's schedule or the days paid to be on location, but instead the hours worked by the crew increase to compensate for the less flexible variables. So 10-12 hour days are standard, 16 hour days are routine, and 20+ hour days may not happen on every production, but anyone in the industry for a bit will have seen their share. The roles are varied, but most are both physically and mentally taxing. When the day wraps, all these sleep deprived people get in cars and drive home/to accommodations-- indistinguishable from drunk driving . All that is to say, while falling asleep at the wheel doesn't make the same media splash, and without understanding how the industry operates it's easy to blame the deceased, some number of people die every year making the entertainment we consume due to avoidable but inherently dangerous conditions on productions.

Oh, and these unsafe conditions were allegedly present on this production. The entire below the line camera crew walked that very morning over safety concerns/unpaid wages
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This is something that will be discussed in great depth over the coming weeks. It's relatively cheap and simple these days to use CGI in post-production, so it does beg the question if it's worth the risk using dangerous props. But you're not going to get a natural recoil. I suspect you're sacrificing some realism. The question begs, is it worth it? This is an extremely rare incident, other than this and Brandon Lee, I only saw reference to one more incident of this kind, and that was almost Darwin Awards stuff... some bored actor decided to put a prop gun to his temple and fired... the recoil fractured his skull and he died several days later in hospital. It's easy to dismiss that one as self inflicted, but when you have production crew getting hurt it's very different.
    One small clarification, it wasn't the recoil but the actual muzzle flair that killed that actor. At anything over a few feet, it won't be fatal, but eye protection should still be used-- essentially it's a directional firework.

As for who's to blame-- yeah, that guy did a dumb thing, but the fact that he clearly did not receive adequate training but was nonetheless put in possession of such a dangerous device makes room for the blame to be spread.

Regarding cgi: maybe this sells for most people? I've caught it done well in selective sequences, but for the most part, and especially when it's used exclusively in show/movie and it's supposed to realistic, it's so obvious and really ruins the suspension of disbelief for me. That sounds callous in the context of this woman losing her life, but it simply looks really silly. Some stylized movies/shows can pull it off great, for example sci-fi where maybe the gun fires hyper fast and has little recoil, like Edge of Tomorrow. On the other hand, I remember watching an episode of The Walking Dead and it felt like a joke, like a bunch of kids running around going "pew! pew!" and then muzzle flairs and gun reports being edited in.

*shrug*
    was supposed to be heading to germany for three months in april 2020... plans change... *shrug*
    quit work anyway, unemployed feels liberating
    As for who's to blame-- yeah, that guy did a dumb thing, but the fact that he clearly did not receive adequate training but was nonetheless put in possession of such a dangerous device makes room for the blame to be spread.
    This is a fair point. If someone sticks a prop gun to their temple and fires, then they clearly can't have been properly informed of the dangers.

Proper training and procedure needs to be followed. I think that "suicide" example is quite old now, can't remember when it was, so things were probably more lax then than they are now. If precautions are taken, this kind of thing shouldn't happen. But, in this recent case, I suspect the bullet split, it's hard to imagine how else two people can be hit. How do you mitigate for that? They might not have been in the direct line of fire. We'll have to wait for the report before we know how this happened, but it might be the case that it's simply an unavoidable accident.

You're right that it's going to make films look amateurish, especially if the people doing the CGI are incompetent. I guess they need to invent a gun that looks and sounds like the real thing without actually firing a projectile. Not sure if that's a simple as it sounds though.
    ongies gonna ong
    I was health and safety officer in our dept. for a couple of years, and it was made very clear to me that if someone did something stupid and dangerous, and I hadn't expressly told them not to, it was my ass on the line and not theirs.

Glad I'm done with that fucking job.
    also,
    This is one of the problems with the world today. Ok in some cases where something is not obviously dangerous (for example, using a prop gun), it's clear that people need to be adequately trained and informed, and where that doesn't happen and someone gets hurt, then yes it's fair to assign blame to those who should be educating people. But in most cases, it's fucking obvious that something is dangerous. I've worked with potentially dangerous machinery before and I certainly wasn't told to not put my head in front of a moving rollercoaster, for example. It's common sense.

On the other hand, I've worked as a projectionist at a cinema, and my boss wanted us to wear a shirt and tie. We had to tell him that if a tie gets caught in the projector, it could throttle us. He reluctantly accepted that it was dangerous, but he wasn't happy that we dared to challenge his authority. He was a right prick, he had little man syndrome. He thrived on being boss because he probably got bullied at school, that kind of guy.
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah I mean I imagine I would have been off the hook if someone stuck their finger in a mains socket. But, if someone plugged a dozen different plugs into a single mains socket using a chain of extensions, which I would argue is a thing the common sense of a twelve-year-old tells you not to do, I had to hope I caught them before the fire started (which thankfully I did).

At the same time, I can't be everywhere and I can't anticipate who is going to do something stupid and when, so it was a stressful job.
    also,
    I definitely could not do that job. No matter how competent you are, you're at the mercy of incompetent colleagues.
    ongies gonna ong
    I've just read an article from the Daily Mail suggesting that the bullet that killed that unfortunate lady was a live bullet, not a blank, and it passed all the way through her before hitting the guy on the shoulder, who was stood behind here. It's the DM so huge pinch of salt, but they're going as far as to imply blame lies on armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed and assistant director Dave Halls. Hannah is the daughter of Thell Reed, a respected Hollywood armorer, and by coincidence, Halls was involved in The Crow: Salvation, the sequel to the film in which Brandon Lee was killed.

"Neither has been charged or named as a criminal suspect in the case..." the DM quietly add at the end, after throwing shit at them both.

This is Hannah...

Not gonna lie, I think she's cute as fuck.
    ongies gonna ong
    If it was a live bullet and not a blank, then the blame for this incident is obviously on whoever loaded the gun. That might be Hannah, but not necessarily. Whoever it was should be trained to know the difference between a live bullet and a blank, otherwise what the fuck are they even doing in the job?

The DM also claim there were two prop gun incidents on set in the days before the shooting. Also that there was a walkout over long hours and safety concerns.

It's a shame the DM are the only ones I can currently find running this story.

Here's the article...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-shooting.html
    ongies gonna ong
    Makes sense.

https://twitter.com/SSergeantNancy/s...78112292073472

Oh, but wait.

https://twitter.com/lordofalltacos/s...20397490819077

Damn, this thing goes deeper than I thought. I wonder if the lizard people are behind it.
    also,
    I'm not going down that rabbit hole, but with that said, I don't dismiss the idea of some form of cultism in Hollywood and the wider entertainment industry. If anything, it explains why talentless people become so successful, and why many very talented people aren't successful. It also explains why certain people are allowed to get away with awful crimes for decades, and why certain people are suicided when they get exposed. Something is going on.
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm not going down that rabbit hole, but with that said, I don't dismiss the idea of some form of cultism in Hollywood and the wider entertainment industry.
    I would think clique is a better description than cult.

If anything, it explains why talentless people become so successful, and why many very talented people aren't successful.
    This happens in every line of work. People ass kiss and/or sleep their way to the top, they get ahead because they have the right connections. And there's a lot of luck involved. Lana Turner was famously discovered in a soda shop.

It also explains why certain people are allowed to get away with awful crimes for decades,
    They also happen to be incredibly wealthy, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

and why certain people are suicided when they get exposed. Something is going on.
    Rich people are covering up their crimes. It's that simple. You don't need recourse to alien lizard cults to explain that.
    also,
    I would think clique is a better description than cult.
    I'm not so sure. The one hand over the eye pose and similar symbols are really cultish. And it's incredibly widespread. When so many people are using strange symbolism in their poses, it's hard to dismiss it as quirky behaviour.

This happens in every line of work. People ass kiss and/or sleep their way to the top, they get ahead because they have the right connections.
    True. But in entertainment, what matters most is media coverage. Compare Adele to Alice Russel and tell me who you think should be the one everyone has heard of.

They also happen to be incredibly wealthy, I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
    It definitely helps.

Rich people are covering up their crimes. It's that simple. You don't need recourse to alien lizard cults to explain that.
    I never said anything about alien lizards, you're making that leap. I'm talking about Satanic cults, something we both know actually exist in the world. The only question is if these cults are in control of the entertainment industry. And I'm not saying they are, merely that I'm in no position to dismiss it. There's circumstantial evidence that supports the idea.
    ongies gonna ong
    356k hits

ongies gonna ong
    1.8 billion hits

ongies gonna ong
    I fucking love Alice Russel, what a voice. Best white soul singer in history in my opinion, happy to be proven wrong because it means discovering someone else insanely good.
    ongies gonna ong
    The world is not a meritocracy. It's run by humans, who are dumb, lack complete information, and are led by selfish motivations.

Being a dick makes your path to the top harder, even if you had the talent.
    Being generally nice to work with greases a lot of wheels, so to speak.
    Being willing to sacrifice sleep, and any sense of ethical work hours plays a huge role.

But even with all that, there's so much random noise in the system and so much available talent to pull from that you need a fair amount of luck to "make it."

The goal isn't to find the best singer, or the fastest drummer... the goal is to get other humans to throw money at you for impressing / entertaining them. Being "the best" at something isn't a necessary factor. Very few of the most popular musicians are even in the same building as the skill it would take to be called a virtuoso, let alone "the best" at their instrument.

But to assume that's even their goal is misguided. They're not necessarily trying to be the best guitarist or the best singer ever. They're motivated by their personal goals. What it is they're the best at isn't guitar or voice, but the whole package of showman and creator that they bring to the table.
    I fucking love Alice Russel, what a voice. Best white soul singer in history in my opinion, happy to be proven wrong because it means discovering someone else insanely good.
    She starts her song with a violin solo, she's dressed like a slob, and you wonder why she's not top of the charts.

Get real.

Susan Boyle is a great singer. No-one wants to look at her. Success in music, especially for females, is not just about talent.
    also,
    I never said anything about alien lizards, you're making that leap. I'm talking about Satanic cults
    also,
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    The world is not a meritocracy.
    It should be when it comes to art.

Being a dick makes your path to the top harder, even if you had the talent.
    Actually the opposite seems to be true.

The goal isn't to find the best singer, or the fastest drummer... the goal is to get other humans to throw money at you for impressing / entertaining them
    That's the goal of record companies. They promote those they feel they can make the most money from. Of course, many artists share this goal, we call that "selling out" and it's when their music turns to shit. They allow third parties to have artistic influence in their music and image.

Being "the best" at something isn't a necessary factor.
    For those of us that listen to music for artistic merit, this is exactly what matters most. I'm not a fan of Adele but I don't despise her music, she has a decent voice and for pop music it's not too bad. But she's far from the best. So I'm not interested in her.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by poop
    She starts her song with a violin solo, she's dressed like a slob, and you wonder why she's not top of the charts.
    She looks better than most singers. She looks natural, not fake. And violin solo? Why's that a problem? I don't understand why that even factors into your thinking. Violins are wonderful instruments.

What does it matter what she looks like when she's a singer? Do you think that mattered to Nina Simone?

She gave no fucks. She's also wonderful.
    ongies gonna ong
    Susan Boyle has a great voice but her music isn't great. You need more than a voice... you also need good songwriting skills.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Do you think alien lizards and Satanism are the same thing? I'm confused what point you think you just made here.
    ongies gonna ong
    I've just read an article from the Daily Mail suggesting that the bullet that killed that unfortunate lady was a live bullet, not a blank, and it passed all the way through her before hitting the guy on the shoulder, who was stood behind here. It's the DM so huge pinch of salt
    Nah, this is by far the most likely way they were both hit and it caused serious injury and death.

Not gonna lie, I think she's cute as fuck.
    Yep.

If it was a live bullet and not a blank, then the blame for this incident is obviously on whoever loaded the gun. That might be Hannah, but not necessarily. Whoever it was should be trained to know the difference between a live bullet and a blank, otherwise what the fuck are they even doing in the job?
    If it was a live round, the blame is on the armorer, as no live rounds should ever be on set. Unless of course someone smuggled or somehow unintentionally brought a live round on set. I've never been on set with an armorer, but from what I understand, they are extremely cautious about this. Blanks and dummy rounds are not stored in the same facilities as live rounds, not ordered to the same addresses, open packages get disposed of after a shoot to ward against mixups, etc.

The DM also claim there were two prop gun incidents on set in the days before the shooting. Also that there was a walkout over long hours and safety concerns.

It's a shame the DM are the only ones I can currently find running this story.
    I can corroborate this. Friends of friends of friends. There 100% was a walk off of the entire camera crew. Production brought on non union locals. Safety was one of the principal concerns of the walk offs. Productions are always kinda crazy, but this sounded like an absolute shitshow
    Last edited by boost; 10-24-2021 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost
    If it was a live round, the blame is on the armorer, as no live rounds should ever be on set.
    You'd think so, but a junior armorer is probably being supervised. Time will tell if that's the case.

Unless of course someone smuggled or somehow unintentionally brought a live round on set.
    Whoever loaded the gun should be able to tell on sight the difference between a live bullet and a blank. I could tell the difference... one is aerodynamic, the other is not.

I can corroborate this. Friends of friends of friends. There 100% was a walk off of the entire camera crew. Production brought on non union locals. Safety was one of the principal concerns of the walk offs. Productions are always kinda crazy, but this sounded like an absolute shitshow
    Interesting, and yes this does seem to be an amateurish production.
    ongies gonna ong
    She looks better than most singers. She looks natural, not fake.
    She would not make it mainstream today; there's too much emphasis on looks. Name me one of the top ten selling female artists in the last 30 years that wasn't hot. If you can, she's the exception to the rule.

And violin solo? Why's that a problem? I don't understand why that even factors into your thinking. Violins are wonderful instruments.
    It's not a question of taste, it's about what sells. And violin solos at the start of a song make most people change the station.

What does it matter what she looks like when she's a singer? Do you think that mattered to Nina Simone?

She gave no fucks. She's also wonderful.
    She's a great artist. But, no-one's going to rub one out to one of her videos (well, maybe you would). That's my point when I say things have changed.

I'm not the one making these rules, but they're definitely out there.
    also,
    Case in point: The first televised presidential debate was Nixon/Kennedy in 1960. Most people who watched it on TV thought Kennedy had won, most who listened on the radio thought Nixon won.

What oh what could be the reason?

also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Name me one of the top ten selling female artists in the last 30 years that wasn't hot.
    I'm struggling to even think of one.

Every solo female singing star I can think of is at least a 9. Taylor Swift, 10. Beyonce, solid 9.5 or 10. Mariah Carey, 10. Camilla Cabello, 9.

All-girl groups are invariably filled with 9.5s and 10s. The only exception I can think of is the flat-chested one from the Spice Girls, and even she had an attractive face.

Adele you could say was not a 9 or 10 when she was fat, but she was still very pretty. And now she's pretty hot too.

If you go back far enough there's some real pooches. Nina Simone, Janis Joplin, great artists and...fugly as hell. But that was before videos really became a thing.
    also,
    Name me one of the top ten selling female artists in the last 30 years that wasn't hot.
    Celine Dion. She's a horse. Alanis Morrissette, also a horse. Ok Alanis isn't top ten but she was hugely successful in the 90s. Who was that bitch who did the wrecking ball thing? Miley Cyrus. She was a pig. Bjork wasn't exactly your standard good looking woman, although I have a different opinion there, considering her one of the hottest women in history, but I like weird looking women that don't look like animals. Sinead O'Connor with her haircut, not exactly someone I'd like to wank over. Annie Lennox, though we're drifting beyond your 30-year limit here.

Still it's kinda missing the point. The reason hot talentless women are successful is because they are promoted by record labels who are more interested in selling sex than music. There is an endless supply of hot women, many of whom are talented, but they don't become successful. Appreciated, you might not be a fan of Alice Russell, but she scrubs up well, she simply doesn't present herself as a sex icon, instead choosing the natural woman look. I'd rather fuck her than Beyonce.

It's not a question of taste, it's about what sells. And violin solos at the start of a song make most people change the station.
    Maybe in England, but that's because we're uncultured as fuck when it comes to music, and so too are USA. The Irish and Europeans love the violin. And it has to be said, I pulled up one of the few songs of hers that happen to start with a violin solo. Most of her songs do not have violin.

She's a great artist. But, no-one's going to rub one out to one of her videos (well, maybe you would).
    No I wouldn't. I listen to music, it's not about sex. If I want a wank, there's an endless supply of porn on the internet.

What oh what could be the reason?
    Well I wouldn't fuck either of them.

I get what you're saying. Sex sells. But why do talentless good looking women become successful when there's plenty of talented good looking women? Let's have a look at some major female singers and see who is both talented and sexy...

Madonna. Yes, fine, fantastic pop music and was very hot in the 80s and 90s.
    Whitney Houston, yes fine. The greatest soul singer that never was, a criminal waste in pop music, but hugely talented, successful and hot as fuck.
    Maria Carey - mildly hot but vastly overrated.
    Celine Dion - ugly and largely talentless.
    Christina Aguilera - slightly more attractive than Celine Dion, much less talented.
    Adele - average looks, average talent.
    Beyonce - hot I guess, not my type but I get the appeal. Talentless.
    Lady Gaga - average looks, better dancer than singer.
    Miley Cyrus - ugly, less talented than her father, who was himself utterly talentless (Achy Breaky Heart).
    Debbie Harry - hot as fuck, talented as fuck.

It's not so easy to list the good looking talented women because I haven't heard of them. But I'm in no doubt they are plentiful. It's just whether they're willing to sell their soul.

This convo came about due to us talking about cults. I'm not suggesting that all of those successful artists I just named are members of a Satanic cult, but if I see a pic of them posing with one hand over their eye, or other such symbols, then it does make me wonder who they're trying to appeal to. That isn't sexy, it's weird. If it were one artist, it would be a quirky image. When it's lots and lots of them, you have to ask what's going on there.
    ongies gonna ong
    Every solo female singing star I can think of is at least a 9. Taylor Swift, 10. Beyonce, solid 9.5 or 10. Mariah Carey, 10. Camilla Cabello, 9.
    I think you like porn stars more than natural women.

9+ singers for me... Bjork, Debbie Harry, Tori Amos, Kylie Minogue, Kate Bush... I'll think of more.
    ongies gonna ong
    The Spice Girls are a bunch of average looking women. The black one was by far the hottest, I'd give her a rating of 9.
    ongies gonna ong
    Katie White from the Ting Tings. Hayley Williams. Carly Rae Jepsen. Madonna in her prime. Whitney Houston. Lily Allen.
    ongies gonna ong
    The Spice Girls are a bunch of average looking women. The black one was by far the hottest, I'd give her a rating of 9.
    as tired as rating women on an internet forum has become, I'll say, this is very accurate
    Madonna. Yes, fine, fantastic pop music and was very hot in the 80s and 90s.
    Whitney Houston, yes fine. The greatest soul singer that never was, a criminal waste in pop music, but hugely talented, successful and hot as fuck.
    Maria Carey - mildly hot but vastly overrated.
    Celine Dion - ugly and largely talentless.
    Christina Aguilera - slightly more attractive than Celine Dion, much less talented.
    Adele - average looks, average talent.
    Beyonce - hot I guess, not my type but I get the appeal. Talentless.
    Lady Gaga - average looks, better dancer than singer.
    Miley Cyrus - ugly, less talented than her father, who was himself utterly talentless (Achy Breaky Heart).
    Debbie Harry - hot as fuck, talented as fuck.

As time has gone by, looks have become more and more important. You can reel off the names of some women from the 80s and 90s that were successful without being very hot, just like I can name some from the 50s and 60s who were successful while being absolute dogs, but you're just kind of making my point for me.

It's not really about your or my taste in women or the quality of female singers as artists, it's about how the visual has become increasingly important as music videos arose. That was my whole point, not whether we agree on whether this or that woman is attractive. Most people would agree Beyonce is a lot better looking than Bjork for example. Whether or not you or I agree with that is irrelevant, it's what the masses think that matters.
    also,
    This convo came about due to us talking about cults. I'm not suggesting that all of those successful artists I just named are members of a Satanic cult, but if I see a pic of them posing with one hand over their eye, or other such symbols, then it does make me wonder who they're trying to appeal to. That isn't sexy, it's weird. If it were one artist, it would be a quirky image. When it's lots and lots of them, you have to ask what's going on there.
    It's funny that you see some novel posture that becomes a fad as somehow evidence of widespread Satanism.

You know why most of them are doing it? Because they saw someone else famous do it and they're sheep. It's nothing more than that.

If they all had pentagrams tatooed on their faces you might be onto something. Right now you're just applying Ongam's razor - "the most wicked conspiracy theory you can imagine is the best theory" - to one more thing you've come across in the world. Fuck me, put down the reefer its' making you paranoid.
    also,
    It's funny that you see some novel posture that becomes a fad as somehow evidence of widespread Satanism.
    All I'm saying is it looks to me like cultish behaviour. The nature of that cult is very much debateable. Satanism just seems more likely than, say, alien lizards.

This "novel posture" as you put it, who is it appealing to? Why do so many celebrities do it? Who thinks it looks cool?

Because they saw someone else famous do it and they're sheep.
    Maybe, but for me this is an even more absurd idea than cultism. If people thought it looked cool and it improved sales, then yes I could buy this. But I don't think that's the case at all.

I speculate cultism for the simple reason I can't think of any better explanation. I'm open to suggestions. This one of yous though, it seems even more ridiculous than mine.
    ongies gonna ong
    btw, it's not just musicians and actors who do this cultish symbolism thing. Politicians do too. Who are they trying to impress?

I don't like going down this rabbit hole because frankly it makes me feel uncomfortable, I obviously don't want to live in this hypothetical world where powerful and famous people are involved in some weird cult, but I'm not convinced I don't live in that world.
    ongies gonna ong

ongies gonna ong
    I mean, you stand there and make that symbol with your hands, and tell me it's natural.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    as tired as rating women on an internet forum has become, I'll say, this is very accurate
    I don't think I'll ever get bored of rating women on the internet.
    ongies gonna ong
    Sometimes I think it's unintentional, they don't really know the meaning behind it, or they didn't even intend to make the gesture-- there's a lot to see that isn't there when a person is constantly being recorded.

But when it is clearly intentional, you have to realize that marketing isn't always simple-- some of the best is quite meta. For example, in politics, in a polarized environment, the cult symbolism can be directed at the opposition. The opposition runs with it, "see, their guy is a satanist!" The politician was never going to win those people over, but their accusations of satanism seem outlandish to those for who the politician is "their guy", they know him, it's absurd to say he's a satanist, and so their allegiance to the politician is increased.

It's not a new trick. Rock promoters would plant stories in cooperative news papers claiming their bands were promoting satanism, or whatever-- conservative pearl clutching parents forbid their children from attending, and all other kids make sure to go to the thing others can't go to, plus some number of pearl clutcher offspring sneak out. Guaranteed sold out tour.
    I don't think I'll ever get bored of rating women on the internet.
    I mean, me neither, I'm just virtue signaling to soften the fall out in case someone links this account to IRL me and reads all the retched things I've said over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost
    The opposition runs with it, "see, their guy is a satanist!
    The opposition don't call it out though. It's observant members of the public, posting images in forums and the like.

Sometimes I think it's unintentional
    In some cases it most likely is. But that pose that Merkel is doing over and over again, it's not natural. It feels strange making that pose, like it's not something you would do while relaxing for a photo. It seems very intentional to me, especially when there are many instances of the same person doing it.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    I mean, me neither, I'm just virtue signaling to soften the fall out in case someone links this account to IRL me and reads all the retched things I've said over the years.
    It helps to be unemployed, people can't cancel someone who doesn't have anything to lose.
    ongies gonna ong
    It helps to be unemployed, people can't cancel someone who doesn't have anything to lose.
    I'm half joking, but it's not just work, it's also potential significant others, friends, etc. I've said a lot of shit that I don't think is representative of who I am now, or even who I was then in many cases. Or I've said things that I meant in a context that is not easily translatable, or has been forgotten over the years.
    I guess I should have said unemployed and single! But yeah I know what you mean, I reckon some of my 10-y/o comments on here would be totally unacceptable by today's standards, even in good company.
    ongies gonna ong
    People do weird stuff, including famous people. But even weirder is reading all kinds of nefarious things into their idiosyncrasies with no evidence.

Remember when twerking became a thing? No-one twerked, and then all of a sudden every video was full of women twerking. What a strange behaviour - do you suppose this was some kind of cult activity too? They were twerking as a sign of their submission to Satan?
    also,
    Is twirking an inverted pyramid?

Like I said, this isn't something I outright buy into, I'm just not so quick as you are to dismiss cultish behaviour in celebrities as innocuous. We can see with Scientology how easy it is for these kind of people to fall into such traps. Whatever advances their career.
    ongies gonna ong
    Is twirking an inverted pyramid?
    Is covering one eye an inverted pyramid?

Remember in ye olde days when everyone wore those hats with three corners? Was that a form of inverted pyramid as well - were they all Satanists too?

I'm just not so quick as you are to dismiss cultish behaviour in celebrities as innocuous.
    It's not that I would dismiss it if some actor was caught doing ritual sacrifices and praying to Satan, it's that I don't accept the interpretation of the behaviours you're referring to as "cultish," any more than I think some other fad behaviour like twerking is cultish.

We can see with Scientology how easy it is for these kind of people to fall into such traps. Whatever advances their career.
    How does Scientology advance anyone's career. You're connecting dots that aren't connectable here imo.
    also,
    Is covering one eye an inverted pyramid?
    No, that was a reference to the Merkel and Trump pics I posted.

Remember in ye olde days when everyone wore those hats with three corners? Was that a form of inverted pyramid as well - were they all Satanists too?
    Wearing a hat is not the same as striking an unnatural pose.

How does Scientology advance anyone's career.
    I think maybe you need to learn about Scientology in Hollywood.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think I'm referring to the Louis Theroux Scientology movie, I suspect that's where I'm getting that from, if you want to watch that it's interesting and probably on Netflix, if it's not on a streaming service you sub to then you can probably find dodgy streams if you're that way inclined.
    ongies gonna ong
    No, that was a reference to the Merkel and Trump pics I posted.

Wearing a hat is not the same as striking an unnatural pose.
    It makes just as much sense that you signal your allegiance to Satan through wearing a particular type of hat or by twerking, as that you signal it through adopting certain postures.

I think maybe you need to learn about Scientology in Hollywood.
    Does it promote ritual murder? 'Cause if not, I don't see how it's relevant to the Baldwin incident.
    also,